Thursday, 8 October 2026

Inspiration and intent in wargame design – Appendix: Survey responses, part 1

 


As part of the survey conducted for the article recently posted on A Fast Game, I sort permission to publish each designer’s response in a follow-up post. I didn’t anticipate the number of respondents, or the weight of text contributed (all up, around 37,000 words), so what had been envisaged as a single supplementary post will now be split over three posts. I encourage anyone interested in game design to read through these contributions. Some are brief, others quite long but all are worthwhile.

I have decided to present the collected data in alphabetical order by first name, in keeping with the taxonomy used by Boardgamegeek.com. This raises my librarian hackles, but it seemed to make sense while collating the data during analysis, and at this point I no longer possess the wherewithal re-format the entire set.

The respondents were asked to offer answers to two questions:

Question 1: What was your first wargame (or historical game) design; not necessarily your first published game – that you worked up to a point where it felt “done”?

Question 2: Why did you pick that topic or historical situation to make a game about?

In most instances, I have numbered the responses. Some respondents didn’t strictly follow the two-question format and answered in a more free-form manner. In these other cases I have dispensed with the question number schema.

For ease of reading, this appendix has been broken down into five parts. The other parts can be accessed using the links below:

Part 2    Part 3     Part 4    Part 5

-----

Adam Starkweather

Q1 My first designed game was also my first published one - The Devil’s Cauldron (2008) by MMP.  As for being “done”, I was a novice at making games, so while I’m proud of the end results and people seemed to really enjoy it, looking back on it, there was much I would change now.  Happy to still be here and working on my final iteration of the game system now for my Anzio game from my company [Anzio: a Lost Opportunity (Bring It On Games, ~2027)]. 25 years makes a difference.


But generally, for most of my career, I’ve been captive and had to honor deadlines - so it was done when it had to be done.  That did teach me that there is a time when a game is as done as it is going to get - so while I’d love to have a few more months on some of my MMP and Compass projects, I am experienced enough to see diminishing rates of return on constant revisions and edits.  I know when to let my baby go.

Q2 Until I started my own game company, I often was told by my publishers what they wanted - or if they wanted what I was about to work on ("Angola?  Are you freaking kidding me?”).  Now, at least for the first few games from my company, I’m making games that either I or someone else has spent significant time on, so it is close to ready to make.  Either the research is 90% done or the art is close to done.  These two things take up a ton of time.  After that, I’m now able to choose games I want to make.

-----

Al Nofi

Q1 Some background. I was in Boys’ High, Brooklyn, ‘57-’61, and had an interest in things military. Rummaging through the collection at the main building of the Brooklyn Public Library, I ran across a copy of Totten’s American Game of War (D. Appleton and Company, 1880) a Kriegspiel-style game from the 1880s, as well as The Coast Artillery War Game (Government Printing Office, 1916).  I cobbled together a game with elements from both.  Then a classmate introduced me to the original Avalon-Hill game, Tactics (Avalon Hill, 1954), in my last year or so. He had dropped out of school and joined the army, but was medically discharged due to an injury after about 18 months, due to an injury, and returned to school. While in the army, he’d been introduced to Tactics. That’s how I discovered hobby wargaming. Then AH General came along, creating the wargaming community. After a couple of short articles in The General, I found myself playtesting for with Jim Dunnigan, who was working on Jutland. From there on I was involved in most of his projects, while beginning to writing for S&T, which Jim shortly acquired.

So, to Question 1, my first wargame was the one I cobbled together in high school, which was essentially a late-nineteenth/early twentieth century game of a war between two notional nations, sort-of gluing together elements of both the Totten and Coast Artillery games.

My first published came much later.  After writing and doing research for Strategy & Tactics games, one day, having just read Oman’s book on medieval warfare, I said to Dunnigan, “Why don’t you do a game on the revival of infantry in the Renaissance?”  He replied, “Why don’t you?”  The result was Renaissance of Infantry (SPI, 1970), followed by Centurion (SPI, 1971).

 

Q2 I’ve only completed maybe a dozen or so games, not counting a couple of second editions, with a half-dozen or so begun but never completed. Most of the games I’ve designed came about because I was interested in the subject, and wanted to see how it would work out as a game.

I’m actually not so much interested in wargames as a competitive exercise as a way of exploring the possibilities of a situation – the unanswerable ‘what ifs”, which makes games design a tool driving research. On several occasions, working on a game has required answers to questions that were not addressed in even the most detailed books about a particular battle or event.

A very good example comes from when we were working on SPI’s The Marne, in 1972. In one playtest, toward the end of the development process, the game had unfolded as one would expect, with the Germans sweeping the French and British down into the heart of France, with Paris on the western ends of the armies.  Suddenly the German player ups and says something that the 1914 Germans clearly didn’t plan on doing, “I’m going to attack Paris.”.

 “You can’t, it’s heavily defended, an entrenched camp, surrounded by fortifications.”

 “So, I’ll blow them away with those super-heavy mortars and howitzers that took down Liege!”

 “But you don’t have those, your heaviest artillery is 210mm, not powerful enough.”

 “So where are the super guns?”

Well, it turns out that no book on the opening campaign in the west – not even the German and French official histories, with all their meticulous detail, mentions the pieces after the fall of Liege. It took two or three weeks of careful digging before we found where they were, in an article in a service journal. After Liege, the slow-moving guns had been dispatched to besiege fortress Namur, while fell on August 25th, and were then dispatched to bombard Antwerp, and so were over 200 miles from Paris during the first days of September.  

The Gettysburg Campaign offers a more credible “what if,” supposing that Lee had not dispatched Ewell to Harrisburg, but rather kept him closer to the rest of the army. Naturally a game doesn’t ‘prove’ that doing so would have altered the outcome of the campaign, but it would help us better understand the potential consequences.

-----

Alex Knight

Q1 Because this question revolves around the feeling of being done, it's virtually impossible to answer. Hammer and Sickle (GMT Games, ~2027), which will come out via GMT hopefully in 2027, is the game of mine with the oldest significant system DNA, going back to when I started it in 2019. But it has massively evolved and continues to do so as I'm now working with an artist and a developer to craft the game into an actual product. So, until it is actually released to the printer/manufacturer, I couldn't consider it "done."

Land and Freedom (Blue Panther, 2023) would be a more technically accurate answer, because Blue Panther published the game in 2023, and at that point my endless iterations and tinkering were put on pause. Yet, they have renewed again, as I'm now working with a new artist and publisher, Fort Circle Games, to release a second edition to be released in early 2027. So, at this point the game isn't done, but you could say that the first edition of the game is.

Land and Freedom is now available to play on Rally the Troops.

Q2 I've always been drawn to the Spanish Revolution and Civil War for a number of reasons, most significantly because it included the largest experiment in worker-controlled industry and agriculture within a modern economy, and therefore represents perhaps the most instructive case for how a future without state and capitalist oppression could potentially function. My fascination extends to the perhaps paradoxical caveat that the layers of failure for that experiment, being subsumed by the Republican state and then ultimately buried by fascist violence, reveal even more about the task of building any kind of optimistic future.

-----

Allen Dickerson

Q1 By Swords & Bayonets (GMT Games, 2025) was my first design ever, but it was not the first I ever attempted. I had been trying to build another set of GBACW games on the war in Louisiana, but had gotten a bit stuck on the orders of battle (specifically the Rebels). I had a few maps done though.

Q2 I chose the battles in BS&B because they fit the parameters of the package: SMALL IN SIZE/SCOPE (less than a division on each side) As you may know, BS&B is marketed as a "starter pack" for GBACW, minimizing player overhead so that they can come to grips with the system rules and mechanics (without being overwhelmed by a Shiloh- or Gettysburg-sized situation).

-----

Amabell Holland

Q1 If memory serves, I worked somewhat simultaneously on both the game that would become Stamford Bridge (Tiny Battle Publishing, 2015) and Blood on the Alma (Lock ‘n’ Load, 2012). The former was picked up by Victory Point, spent years in their queue waiting on a developer, and then was given back to me when I found myself suddenly the editor of a wargame magazine in need of a pack-in game for the first issue. Blood on the Alma I signed around the same time with Lock N Load back when it was under Mark Walker's purview, and it would end up being my first published game.

Q2 For Stamford Bridge, I was always interested in medieval history - knights and vikings and what-not - and I was looking for something very simple (with a very tiny form factor) that I could pitch to Victory Point. At this point in my career, I just wanted to get things published and try to learn the business. It's the same reason why, and even around the same time, I designed Northern Pacific (Winsome Games, 2013), a train game, for Winsome (a publisher which specialized in train games): I wanted to get work out there, I wanted to work with experienced developers so I could learn my craft quickly, and I wanted to design for very specific and small form factors so I could do all this relatively quickly & with a higher chance of the game getting signed.

For Alma, I had read a book on the Crimean War and I thought that battle had a lot of crazy things in it - the British not knowing the range of their own rifles because they hadn't bothered to talk to their allies, Lord Raglan disappearing with his staff behind enemy lines, the Russian center commanded by a guy who was drunk off his ass. There's a lot of juice there for a young designer who wants to flex a bit, and wants to practice doing something very chrome-y (especially in contrast to something very restrained like Stamford).

 The idea I guess was to try to develop a wide variety of skills, see what I could sell and what I enjoyed, and then for me to lean into those things.

-----

Andy Loakes

Q1 My first game design (and first published game) was Toulon, 1793 – Napoleon’s First Great Victory (Legion Wargames, 2014).


Q2 Napoléon has always fascinated me and been a significant part of my wargaming (miniatures first and then board wargaming). It always struck me as curious that whilst Toulon was such a pivotal battle for him (and well known amongst Napoleon aficionados), it had never been made into a game. My idle assumption was, for many years, that perhaps it simply didn’t lend itself to such. When I got back into the hobby, more earnestly than ever and after a 20-odd year hiatus, in the early 2000s, I was tempted to try my hand at design and why not look at this neglected topic. And, somewhat to my surprise, I found there was indeed a game to be had.

-----

Art Lupinacci

Q1 Russia Besieged (L2, 2004) was my first wargame design.  It was brewing in my head for decades so the rules for the game and the general outline and scope developed very quickly.  A little history before I continue...

The Russian Campaign, 2nd Edition (Avalon Hill, 1976) was my very first wargame purchase. I immediately fell in love with the game, Avalon Hill and wargaming in general.  I couldn't get enough of the game at the time and played one copy until it was threadbare and had to buy another. In those days, you really got to know a game, especially a good one.

As time passed, the game started to wear on me because of its simplicity (this is really a compliment not a slur) and some of its shortcomings due to it being a small and simple game. l wanted a game that had more meat to it. Not on the level of Drang Nach Osten! (GDW, 1973). Something that was the next step up but at the same scale and roughly the same footprint.

Designing something wasn't what I was thinking of at the time. I was more interested in improving on an already great design and maybe getting it published in an article for the GENERAL. With the demise of SPI and the hobby going into a death spiral at the time, games were not being produced at the same frantic rate they are now and certainly not on every topic imaginable. I wanted a better game and started making some notes for a possible future design.

The opportunity came up to republish Streets of Stalingrad and for a few years I was distracted with getting that project off the ground. Streets of Stalingrad followed quickly by The Russian Campaign 4th Edition and Deluxe Bitter Woods (L2 Design Group, 2003).  Realizing I had a mechanism to make my dream of a good Army/Corps level East Front game a reality I put my nose to the grindstone to publish Russia Besieged.

Memory fades now after 20 years but long-time friend Rob Beyma was recruited to be the developer along with Lembit Tohver as key players of the Design/Playtest team and we slowly started to bang out the rules and order of battle. The game easily went two years into playtesting and fleshing out the rules before it was eventually printed. We had a huge playtest team spread over the various printings and my thanks and gratitude go out to Rob Beyma who ended up being the driving force in making Russia Besieged what it is.

At what point did it feel, "done"? (chuckling to myself)... probably after the Finnish Expansion (Compass Games, ).  Compass Games published a Deluxe Edition Russia Besieged and a Player's Guide.  I think that was the crowning glory to all my time and efforts.  It took 20 years!

Why? Well, time brings on new discoveries and new information.  When you put out a product you love, you simply want to keep it the best it can be and accepting something is wrong in it didn't sit well with me.  Over the years I corrected a few OB mistakes and adjusted a few rules to keep the game the best it could be for an Army/Corp level game. I am very satisfied with where the game is now....and unfortunately, it is out of print!

Hopefully, by the time you read this, I will have found a solution to bringing it back in print. Russia Besieged, in its various forms has sold over 6,000 copies and is still played today.  A testament to the blood, sweat and tears we put into making it an excellent East Front game. I would like to see one more print run with a mounted map.

Q2 I picked this topic because of my keen interest in military history, especially, in WWII. My grandfather was in the Italian Army in North Africa and I saw a picture of him leaning on a German Panzer III and heard many a war story when I was young and it got me interested. I was interested in North Africa but the Russian Front was where my true interests lay.  I had read so much about Stalingrad and Kursk that this made it a natural place to start. My interest in WWII was so keen I eventually graduated with a major in Contemporary European History primarily focused on the war years and what led up to World War II.

The game that got me truly interested in wargaming was France,1940 (1971) by the Avalon Hill Game Company. I was drawn to it by the artwork and colors of the map. The Russian Campaign, however, sealed the deal.

As I mentioned in the previous answer, I loved and hated this game and it is what made me want to improve it to my liking. The Russian Campaign brought together a number of ideas from other designs, rolling for weather each month, air power increasing the odds, double impulse movement system as well as an economy. It was an elegant design that added a ton of flavor without a mountain of rules.

What more could you want? Well, I eventually wanted more. I wanted to be able to bypass strong points, Blitzkrieg style, I didn't like the River treatment where the graphic split the middle of a hex, the air power rule was a little too restraining and I didn't feel it reflected reality, and I didn't like the sea movement rules for the same reason. What's more, I didn't feel it reflected the wearing down of the German army accurately enough as the war progressed and really wanted to see step reduction in the game. Also, the Order of Battle was woefully inadequate and I wanted more. The weather treatment in The Russian Campaign made me lose my hair, especially if you rolled MUD in Sept/Oct and snow in March/April, the German player was doomed. I wanted more variables and a less punishing outcome.

These were the driving forces that motivated me to design a game on a topic I loved (WWII East Front) using a number of games as my foundation (Battle of Moscow (GDW, 1986), Stalingrad (Avalon Hill, 1963) and The Russian Campaign) eventually culminating in Russia Besieged.

-----

Ben Hull

Q1 In the late 1970s my best friend and I played many miniatures (mostly WWII and some medieval) and made our own rules. We also experimented with Squad Leader (Avalon Hill, 1977) variants. This was the start of the desire to design games. These early efforts were all for our own enjoyment and were "done" in that we played with the custom rules and enjoyed it. The first true game design that was intended for broad use was This Accursed Civil War (GMT Games, 2002) that I designed in 1999-2000 on battles of the English Civil War. The version I originally designed I sold online as a Desktop Published game (DTP). This led to its being picked up by GMT Games in 2001.

Q2 My friend from the 1970s games found a book while working on his PhD in History from Gervase Markham from 1630s which I borrowed. It sparked a real interest in the period and read many more and bought several games from the period including GMT's Lion of the North (GMT Games, 1993) and Rob Markham’s games. All this worked with a long-time interest from reading C.V. Wedgewood in high school and the film Cromwell.

-----

Bill Molyneaux

Q1 I did a lot of play testing over the years late 80s up to the 2000s for several designers like Denis Bishop. [My first] game was The Struggle for New France (Schutze Games, 2013).  It is now in a Second Edition thru Blue Panther games.  It was first published by Schutze Games.

Q2 I am a French and Indian War re-enactor and studied a great deal on the conflict and then I geared my games for historic sites such as Fort Ticonderoga , Old Fort Niagara, Fort Frederick, Old Stone Fort and many others.


-----

Bob Kalinowski

Q1 My first game was published – after a six-year journey through three publishers.  It was the Prussia’s Glory (GMT Games, 2002) quad game for GMT. But on the way to that, the first battle that the system was developed to capture was the battle of Zorndorf. I worked the prototype and a beta version, and submitted this to Strategy and Tactics in the mid-90s. I forget their exact reasoning, but after much delay, they decided they didn’t want the game. So, I kept working the system, and getting data for other battles (Prag, Kolin, Torgau), and submitted it as a four-battle Quad idea to Command Magazine in the late 90’s.  They were going to do it, then had their financial crisis.  The 4 battles got cut to two, but by then, Command was on the verge of folding.  Ty Bomba released the rights back to me. I then submitted to GMT, and it got published.

Q2 I loved Napoleonic history, the epic battles, and the colorful uniforms.  When stationed in Washington D.C. as a Navy shore tour, I hit the Pentagon library a lot.  I was quickly captivated by the Seven Years War material, and all of Frederick’s great battles – and uniforms that were just as colorful as in the Napoleonic era.  At that time, there were few battle games on the SYW; GDW had small treatments of Lobositz and a portion of Prag; Clash of Arms had a few of the gigantic SYW games done.  The GDW games were somewhat light, and not very colorful, and the COA games were just too big for me to want to play beyond a “once in ten years” mega effort.   So SYW battles were largely virgin territory in the wargame world at the time – and nothing out there hit the sweet spot for me.

I loved the S&T Napoleon Quad games – not for any strong attempt at “simulation,” but for their good playability and reasonable “big picture” depictions.  I got the idea to develop a system for a SYW battle that was a notch heavier, gave a nod to Linear warfare aspects without getting consumed by them, and – as all my reading made me realize – covered the crucial Approach Marches that so much determined the eventual outcomes of the battles.  This could be captured in a Battle/Approach March split start/length format; it would let players  (and ME!  I solo 95% of my games)  get a battle done in 3-4 hours, and a full Approach scenario in 6-7.  That would give the wargame world a Seven Years War battle (or eventually, 8 battles) they could play frequently, and finish in an evening, along with good variability due to the Approach March version, and numerous optional additional “forces in the area” augments to change things up.

And, to date, 25+ years later, there still isn’t much else in the light-moderate SYW battle system niche, so I’m glad I did it!

-----

Brad Johnson

Q1 I know this is a survey about first designs, but I'd like to say that the first game of any type that I helped get to a point where it felt "done" was Sword of Rome (GMT Games, 2004), which was designed by my friend, Wray Ferrell, and published by GMT Games.  I became the developer of that game after the original developer, Volko Ruhnke, was forced to withdraw due to work obligations.  Wray was very open to my feedback during the development and playtesting process and I feel that I contributed some significant elements to the final design.

This is important because it not only cemented my friendship and design partnership with Wray, but also established a relationship with GMT Games for both of us that gave us a platform for serious consideration of our future designs.  Sword of Rome directly led to the first of my own designs that I was able to get to "done" -- Time of Crisis (2017), which was co-designed with Wray Ferrell and also published by GMT Games. 

I had previously dabbled in many different personal game design projects for decades, since I was in high school, and none had ever advanced from being a collection of vague ideas to the point where I even had a playable prototype.  I must confess I tend to have a wealth of ideas but a relatively low drive to actually work through the difficult parts of the design process.  I found that having Wray as a partner, another person to whom I could feel a sense of obligation for finishing the project, was key for me to be able to work through that difficult process.  Plus, two heads can definitely be better than one when it comes to brainstorming solutions for thorny problems.  Nonetheless, it ended up taking us multiple years and many iterations to bring Time of Crisis from the initial idea to a game that was ready to play.

Q2 A somewhat lengthy chain of personal events, if I may be indulged:

I was never terribly interested in history through my high school and college education.  Although I certainly played and enjoyed a variety of historical games during those times, including such classics as Diplomacy and Civilization, none really sparked a true interest in history until I experienced Republic of Rome from Avalon Hill in 1990.  I had never seen a game quite like this, that really made history come alive for me.  Coincidentally, a novelization of the years of the Roman Republic leading up to the Marian-Sullan Civil Wars was then published in the US in 1991, and this book kindled the fire of my interest in Roman history. 

Within a couple years of that, the internet was really taking off for broad public use and I joined an online game of Republic of Rome.  I first encountered the name Wray Ferrell in that game, whose Eagle faction formed an alliance with my Wreath faction, although we did not carry on any communication immediately after that.  The next games that fascinated me were We the People (Avalon Hill, 1993), which introduced me to card-driven games, and then Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage (Avalon Hill, 1996), which became for me the ideal product of CDGs and Roman history.  I soon started playing online games of Hannibal, and in the type of coincidence that feels like the universe is trying to tell you something, my first randomly-assigned opponent was Wray Ferrell.  Due to our shared love of Rome and card-driven games, plus a general similarity in temperament, Wray emailed me his initial draft ideas for Sword of Rome, seeking feedback.

After the success of Sword of Rome, Wray and I discussed what would be our next project.  We both had been considering the concept of a grand strategic game covering the entire fall of Rome, as a "book-end" to Sword of Rome (which originally had the working title, The Rise of Rome.)  We quickly settled on that as our theme of choice, but what about mechanics?  Around that time, Dominion (Rio Grande Games, 2008) had been published to great acclaim, introducing the concept of a deckbuilding game.  I proposed merging two modern classics, card-driven wargames and deckbuilding, to create a new style of game (although obviously many others had the same good idea, and games such as A Few Acres of Snow (Treefrog Games, 2011) beat us to publication by quite a few years.) 

Our first proof of concept was a fast prototype to use a deckbuilding and card-driven action design to play a game chess (predating For the Crown by Victory Point Games (2011)).  That successfully gave us the seed of the triple action point system in Time of Crisis.  We brainstormed through a number of failed iterations which made us realize that the enormous scale of centuries of the Roman Empire was just too much for the game we envisioned.  Wray suggested reducing the time scale to a more constrained period and proposed the Crisis of the Third Century, about 50 years of some of the most tumultuous Roman history.  This proved to be the key to making the game more manageable and approachable. Despite that, we still needed to playtest our way through many incremental iterations before we finally arrived at the Time of Crisis that was eventually published by GMT Games.

-----

Brian Asklev

Q1 I started out with Nothing Gained but Glory (GMT Games, 2010) in the Musket and Pike Battle series.

It was an easy starting point as a designer as it was a game in an existing and well-functioning series so the only things I needed to worry about was order of battle and map research and how to translate that into a classic hex and counter system with as few special rules as possible (although I can certainly be argued if I was successful in keeping the number of special rules low😄).

Q2 I was at the time super enthusiastic about the Musket and Pike series, and as a Dane interested in the military history of the 17th century there were just a lot of battles that were obvious candidates for that game series. But since must of the literature on them were in Danish or Swedish it was hard for me to push the series designer to do them, and in the end he persuaded me to give it a go myself - and since then I have been unable to stop designing wargames 🙂

-----

Brian Train

Q1 The first complete wargame I designed to the point where it felt done was Pusan Perimeter (Schutze Games, 1999), in late 1981. It was a regiment-division scale game on that early phase of the Korean War, when the UN forces were backed into that small corner of the Korean peninsula.

I was still a new wargame player, so the rules were somewhere in between Avalon Hill Blitzkrieg (1965) and simpler SPI.

I remember playing Patton's 3rd Army (SPI, 1980) (the issue game in Strategy and Tactics #78) at the time and drawing some inspiration from its chrome.

I thought I had invented the idea of "secondary Zone of Control", in a rule where a US division could interdict enemy movement two hexes away from its location (I was thinking about its ability to use divisional artillery and spotter aircraft locally). Turns out I hadn't; years later I discovered something like it had been done in James Dunnigan's Bastogne game from 1969.

It was completely hand-made: hand-typed rules (6 pages); hand-typed and drawn chart and table (one of each, 1 page in all); hand-coloured map with photocopied hand-drawn hexes; hand-made counters (about 85).

Obviously only one copy exists and even it has lost the counters.




Photos courtesy of Brian Train.

Q2 When I was a kid one of the books my father had on his shelf was This Kind of War, the famous if impressionistic history of the Korean War by T. R. Fehrenbach.

 The edition he had was the 1964 Cardinal paperback version, a thick one with really nice maps inside of the different situations and phases of the war. I pored over it.


I don't know who made the maps but they featured map marking symbols for the military units on them, and there was a guide in the back to reading them. This is where I learned my NATO symbols, at age 10!

Anyway, the map of the Pusan Perimeter seemed to me to capture an interesting battle quite neatly... the forces were arranged in a more or less rectangle so would use up most of the map-sheet, it was a tense situation overall with the North Koreans at the end of their tether and the UN forces badly battered. And best of all, both sides got to attack in order to make a good showing in the game, which also had a time limit of September 15 when the Inchon landing turned everything on its head.

All in all, I think I made a simple game about an interesting situation.

It was not the first game I made an effort to distribute or publish, that came later... in 1999 I did dress up the game considerably and clean up a lot of rules and OOB problems, and it was published in very limited quantities by Schutze Games of Australia. People seem to like it!

From the very beginning of my playing wargames in 1979, I noted a lack of games on the kinds of conflicts I wanted to play, namely post-WW 2 conflicts.

This was 1981 and there were few if any Korean War games available, still less any that focused on the tense Pusan Perimeter phase of the conflict.

So, though it would be another 10 years until I designed my next games (Civil Power (BTR Games, 1996) and Power Play, (Schutze Games, 1998)) I already had a taste for wanting to design on topics that no one else had touched, just because I wanted to see more of what I wanted to play in the world.

-----

Brien J. Miller

I played my very first wargame in 1969. It was Midway (Avalon Hill, 1964) and I was at a friend’s house in Guilford, Connecticut. At the time, I lived in Branford, the town just west of Guilford, where I had met my friend in junior high. At the end of our junior high school years, his family moved to Guilford, so on Saturdays I would bike over to meet up with him.

It was at his house that he brought out a series of games. Midway was one of them, and another was a baseball game, one of the early versions before more complex games appeared later. Nonetheless, I was immediately taken with Midway. I had been a ship model builder since I was probably twelve years old, so seeing the top-down images of the ships—and discovering both the U.S. Navy and Japanese Navy ships involved in the battle—was a major attraction.

I later went on to obtain games of my own. The first was one I found at a flea market in New Haven, Connecticut: the very first edition of Gettysburg, (Avalon Hill, 1958), which used long counters and a square grid rather than hexes. That would have an influence years later when I began designing games of my own.

Throughout high school, I acquired more games and played them with other friends, notably Avalon Hill’s Waterloo (Avalon Hill, 1962). At about the same time, one of my relatives introduced me to the television show Star Trek. I had already watched a lot of science-fiction programs and movies, including Lost in Space, but it was a major motion picture that locked in my interest—continuing to this day—in astronomy and spaceflight: Stanley Kubrick’s masterpiece, 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Star Trek, however, offered a different vision of the distant future. By this point I had also become heavily involved in playing games from Simulations Publications Inc., or SPI. I had the idea of taking the rules and design concepts from SPI’s USN (SPI, 1971) and applying them to a Star Trek-like science-fiction game—although, of course, entirely in two dimensions.

This involved an elaborate hand-drawn map. At the time, even though I was only a sophomore, I was already taking drafting at the senior high-school curriculum level because I had come into it with a strong graphical and artistic ability. I took large pieces of cardboard to make the map base, sprayed them black, then dashed white dots across the surface to create a star field. I went back in afterward and hand-painted or drafted the planets and systems that the ships could travel to. I did much the same thing with the counters, except that I hand-painted every one of them at half-inch size, which was something of a challenge.

I also managed to type out the rules derived from USN, modifying them as I went. It is worth remembering that this was at a time when there were no personal computers and certainly no voice-to-text entry. Everything was typed on an old-style manual typewriter.

The rules were probably never truly complete, and the game was really designed for me, although I shared it with my friend in Guilford and a couple of other friends in Branford. It wasn’t really a finished, playable game, but it set the table. It gave me my first taste of what designing games could be like.

That was actually my first “design.” It would be some years before I tackled a title intended for publication, in the early 1990s. Prior to that, I had written and submitted additional rules for SPI’s monster game War in the Pacific (SPI, 1978), adding a detailed submarine component. I had long recognized that it was the United States Navy submarine force that was primarily responsible for devastating Japanese merchant shipping through an extended campaign that ultimately helped break the economic system sustaining Japan’s war effort.

Those rules were never published, although I did receive a thank-you note from SPI. More importantly, the effort gave me considerable experience in creating and inserting complex rules, along with playing-piece artwork, into an existing game design. That, too, would have a significant influence on my later published work.

In the years that followed, I started my own publishing company, Games USA, where I published the first two titles in my Eagles of the Empire game system: the 1812 Napoleonic battle of Borodino (Games USA. 1994) and the 1807 battle of Friedland (Games USA, 1995). I then joined forces with Avalanche Press to publish the third title, covering the 1807 Battle of Eylau [Eagles of the Empire: Preussisch-Eylau (Avalanche Press, 1999)].

Collaborating with Avalanche allowed me to contribute to a number of their designs, most notably the War at Sea games, for which I designed and graphically executed the counters and maps, as well as a number of charts and tables. I supported a good number of titles with Avalanche, and the work received very positive reviews.

While collaborating with Avalanche, I returned to the submarine campaign concept I had originally developed for SPI’s War in the Pacific and began turning it into a fully standalone game. The design synthesized the storytelling of Clay Blair’s deeply researched Silent Victory with a little-known work by Dr. Robert E. Kuenne of Princeton University, published by Yale University Press, titled The Attack Submarine. Kuenne presented a statistical analysis of the submarine as a strategic weapon of war, capable of strangling an enemy’s shipping and supply lines rather than simply being used against other combat ships.

In the modern age—particularly following the first generations of nuclear submarines—the strategic circumstances changed considerably. The Soviet Union, for example, did not present the same sort of strategic maritime shipping network to interdict. But Kuenne’s analysis helped demonstrate why the U.S. Navy submarine campaign against Japan had been so successful, while the German submarine campaign against Britain and, later, the Allied powers ultimately failed.

Synthesizing Blair’s storytelling with the analytics and algorithms presented by Kuenne allowed me to create a design approach integrating essentially data-driven systems with the narrative of the submarine campaign against Imperial Japan. I titled the resulting game Silent War (Compass Games, 2005).

Avalanche showed no interest in publishing the title, although they did provide some early playtesting. Shortly thereafter, I moved on from my collaboration with Avalanche but continued working on Silent War.

In the early 2000s, I was contacted by one of the founding members of Compass Games, who had seen discussions about Silent War on online forums. He expressed interest and invited me to meet with them. At the time I was living in New Jersey, but I had an opportunity to travel to Windsor Locks, Connecticut, where I met the three founders at the Hilton Hotel at Bradley International Airport.

It was there that I showed them Silent War, and they immediately decided they wanted to publish it. During those discussions, I suggested several changes, primarily moving to larger playing pieces—because gamers were getting older—and using long counters for the submarines, which would allow more detailed images of the boats to be placed on them.

Compass was ecstatic about the idea and gave me full control over the final development of the game, its graphics, and the overall product design. I also provided Compass with their logo and what became known as “the boot,” the black bar at the bottom of most of their game boxes containing the logo and company name.

So, from a never-completed and never-published space game, through the self-published Eagles of the Empire series, collaboration with Avalanche Press, and finally several published titles for Compass Games—not to mention all the additional graphical design work I did for other Compass titles—the journey through game design has been a lot of fun, and one filled with some really good folks.

-----

Bruce Harper

Q1 My path to game design was unusual (I think). I played the original Avalon Hill Rise and Decline of the Third Reich (Avalon Hill, 1974), and at one point I wrote a long letter to them with numerous questions about the rules (back in the day when that was the procedure). I also suggested that maybe the Western Allies should be allowed to grant aid to Russia through an Allied-controlled Turkey.
I received a reply to all my questions, including a notification that my Turkey suggestion would be included in the next edition of the game. That seemed very cool!

A year or two later, the person handling the Q&A for Third Reich (Larry Bucher) asked if I would take over his duties. I agreed, and became the answer person for the game.

I found that many of the questions stemmed from gaps in the rules, and when this occurred, I edited the rules.

Over time, I began to edit rule paragraphs where no one had (yet) asked questions, although the rule wording invited them.

Finally, I began to consider substantive rules changes (i.e., changing a rule which seemed to have an obvious omission or inconsistency).

This led to the fifth edition of Third Reich, then Advanced Third Reich, then a Pacific version (Empire of the Rising Sun (Avalon Hill, 1995)), then finally A World at War (GMT Games, 2003).

To your questions: I think A World at War is close to being "done" now - the game covers such a broad topic (all of World War II) that there is always room for some improvement. Thankfully, that is very rare.

Q2 The topic was more or less an accident, as described above.

-----

Bruce Maxwell

Q1 As a child and teen during the ‘70s and ‘80s, I was fascinated by warfare. I built huge numbers of plastic kits for planes, tanks and warships. This led to playing wargames, with a particular interest in modern warfare. I bought every game that SPI published covering a possible NATO/Warsaw Pact conflict. One of those games was Würzburg (SPI, 1975, which was a simple game published as part of SPI’s first Modern Battles (SPI, 1975) Quad. I played that game until the ink began to wear off the game map.

As fun as the game was to play, the game system was quite simplistic. I began to think about how I could make the game more realistic. That led me to working on a set of House Rules, and that in turn birthed the idea that maybe I could design a game from the ground up to more accurately model how I thought modern warfare actually worked. I bought blank counter sheets and blank maps and spent the next eight years working on this game as my primary hobby. I called it “Bear & Eagle.”

I ultimately ended up working for SPI, and when it went bust, the design team moved to Victory Games. That led to Victory publishing a second design I had been working on, NATO: The Next War in Europe (Victory Games, 1983). And that release opened the door for me to publish my first design (and first love), Bear & Eagle. When West End picked up the game, they asked me to change the name to Air & Armor (West End Games, 1996). And that is the story of how my first design got to market.

Q2 Like most children who grew up during the Cold War, the threat of nuclear annihilation focused my attention on the heavily armed standoff in Europe. I did not so much pick the topic as the topic picked me. I always saw a wargame as a challenge. Could I be the better general? And there was something about proving that I was a good enough general to hold off the “Soviet hordes” that really drew me in. It was just natural to want to create a game where I could practice that art.

-----

Carl Fung

Q1 The first wargame design I completed was Goose Green (Multi-Man Publishing, 2023) for TCS [Tactical Combat Series] back around 2002. At the time, I was just "a guy" who played wargames and enjoyed The Gamers series of games. I had lots of concepts of designs, some of which eventually also got fleshed out into finalized designs like Valley of Tears (Multi-Man Publishing, 2023). Goose Green was the first one I completed and submitted to Dean Essig. It sat in the queue for years until it was finally picked up to be formally developed. It was released in 2023. This shows how long a game design can sit in statis, with no guarantee that it'll be published.  I'm lucky in designing games using The Gamers series of games as the series rules allows a core base of rules in which to build new designs with the series rules as a base. I don't need to design from scratch concepts like ZOC or combat as it's all built into the series rules. I just have to focus on the game specific topic, historical map, Order of Battle, and other historical tidbits.

My first published game, however, was Iron Curtain (Multi-Man Publishing, 2020). I learned a lot from that experience, which carried onto the design and development of other games, which included Goose Green, which required refinement before it was published.

Goose Green in play (Courtesy Mike Riley, BGG).

Q2 I designed the game after reading the book Goose Green by Mark Adkin. The narrative immediately struck a chord with simulating the action in Tactical Combat Series. After sizing out the map, it fit perfectly on one map. The book contained a lot of detail which helped translate the history into a game design, from the Order of Battle, orders issues, enemy positions, intent, reinforcements, and even alternate reinforcements for what ifs. The book was supplemented with additional sources and feeds with my notion that heavy research is necessary to design a game.

All of the topics start with a book or simply just being fascinated by a battle or campaign. During the initial research, a topic will either garner a lot more interest and want me to dig more and more, or it will peter out as I will find shortcomings where it might not work out as a game. Game designs need to strike the balance of historical accuracy, playability, and fun. There should be something that both sides need to do. Static or stand and die battles aren't fun and may not offer interesting choices for one side. The reason why we remember certain game experiences was because of the events in the game, not necessarily that it captured perfectly a battle that might otherwise have been dull to play.

Certainly familiar battles (think Gettysburg, Waterloo, and Battle of the Bulge) make for more popular games because they are familiar to well-read and amateur historians alike. There is nothing wrong with that because each game will have its own spin and interpretation of the battle, and hopefully they are well researched using the latest there is to learn. Historical research evolves over time. We are still learning new things about WWII, so familiar topics don't necessarily become trite. Unfamiliar topics can likewise be interesting, given their newness to players. Yet there might be a reason why there's not a lot of games on the Madagascar Campaign in WWII.  Fascinating for it being unknown, but playability-wise, it might be entirely dull.

-----

Carl Paradis

Q1 Definitely my first-ever published Wargame, No Retreat! The Russian Front (Victory Point Games, 2008). So much so that I’m currently putting the small finishing touches on the final “Designer’s Edition” right now, almost 20 years later, and it will not differ from the original version by very much. That must be a sign, right?

Q2 Well, I always considered myself as a Gamer first, Designer second. The WW2 Eastern Front has always fascinated me (that, and the Napoleonic period), but I never was fully satisfied, by far, by the countless designs on the same topic. I then tried to playtest and offer input to some future games made on the East Front, but I was never taken seriously.

So, being an engineer by trade, I naturally decided to make my own game. Then I got bitten by the “game-designer Bug”, and the rest is history! But my main love is Napoleonic's; Eastern Front WW2 was just more easy and convenient to make first. And I waited a long time since then before making my new big move: A huge series of Napoleonic battle games, called Battle Commander, or I should I say “Black Powder” games, as the series will cover other periods too.

-----

Carlos Diaz Narvaez

Q1 The question touches on something important: the feeling, as a game designer, that the game is already finished. In that case, I must say that it was an early version of what would later become my game La Carga de los 3 Reyes (NAC Wargames, 2025), which I simply called La Batalla de las Navas de Tolosa. I actually created it almost at the same time as another game about General Custer at Little Big Horn. I’d say both were among my first games that already had a clear identity as finished games.

I felt that the games had substance, with good rules, a well-defined and consistent combat system, and that the people who tested them were interested in continuing to play them and found them quite enjoyable.


Q2 Focusing on Las Navas de Tolosa. The initial motivation that led me to work on this game was that, as a kid, I collected all the wargames from the NAC (Nike and Cooper) brand, and I managed to get everyone except for one that was advertised as being about that very battle. I spent years looking for it, but there was no way to find it anywhere. I thought it might never have been published, even though I’d seen a photo of the game box, and over time those suspicions proved true—there was only one prototype copy.

Anyway, I decided to create what I’d longed for so much, and that was what sparked my interest in that battle, until it ended up becoming my first published game as well.

-----

Charles Vassey

Q1 It was an expansion to S&T's Battle of Borodino (SPI, 1972) sent to SPI in the early Seventies.

First complete game was I think a tactical game on Marston Moor in my magazine, Perfidious Albion.

Q2 Books, always books. Borodino because of Chris Duffy's book [Borodino and the War of 1812], and Marston Moor because of Peter Young's [Marston Moor 1644: The Campaign and the Battle].

I read a lot of books and probably store a lot away in my head (though much trickles out of my ears) but the true spark is where a rule system I have played (which suffers from the same memory issue) cross-pollinates a book I have read. I usually start by using someone else's game even if in the finished product there is little left of the original.

-----

Chris Janiec

Q1 My first historical game was a Mystery Rummy variant called Piltdown Man, with eight of the plausible perpetrators of this early 20th Century hoax as the suspects.  I sent a prototype to the publisher of the series, who declined to accept it.

My first true wargame design was a prequel to GMT's WW2:  Barbarossa to Berlin (GMT Games, 2002) called WW2:  Appeasement to Apocalypse.  It was designed to be played either as a stand-alone or to segue into BtoB.

Of note, both were derivative rather than "clean sheet" designs, though both featured original elements.

Q2 In both cases it was because the subject matter interested me.  Famous hoaxes, particularly when unsolved as Piltdown Man was at that time, are always fun.  And the plausible alternatives in the run-up to World War II and its early stages provide ample grist for a good game that can also provide a variable starting point for the rest of the war.

-----

Claude Whalen

Q1 My first game design was Kernstown (Revolution Games, 2019) for the "Blind Swords" system. I had done testing for the system and when an opportunity came along to design a game, I took it.


Q2 I've always had an interest in the American Civil War and Kernstown had two battles on the same field. It also was the closest battlefield to my residence so I could get there and back in one day. I was able to carefully walk most of the field and that really gave me a feel for both battles.

I also had dealt with the system designer, the cartographer and the company owner. All these things made my first design an enjoyable experience and I've never looked back.

-----



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feature: Where Do I Begin? Inspiration and intent in wargame design

  Good developers and play testers are a designers greatest asset.       Introduction [This first part is rather self-indulgent and a little...