Thursday, 8 October 2026

Inspiration and intent in wargame design – Appendix: Survey responses, part 4



As part of the survey conducted for the article recently posted on A Fast Game, I sort permission to publish each designer’s response in a follow-up post. I didn’t anticipate the number of respondents, or the weight of text contributed (all up, around 37,000 words), so what had been envisaged as a single supplementary post will now be split over three posts. I encourage anyone interested in game design to read through these contributions. Some are brief, others quite long but all are worthwhile.

I have decided to present the collected data in alphabetical order by first name, in keeping with the taxonomy used by Boardgamegeek.com. This raises my librarian hackles, but it seemed to make sense while collating the data during analysis, and at this point I no longer possess the wherewithal re-format the entire set.

The respondents were asked to offer answers to two questions:

Question 1: What was your first wargame (or historical game) design; not necessarily your first published game – that you worked up to a point where it felt “done”?

Question 2: Why did you pick that topic or historical situation to make a game about?

In most instances, I have numbered the responses. Some respondents didn’t strictly follow the two-question format and answered in a more free-form manner. In these other cases I have dispensed with the question number schema.

For ease of reading, this appendix has been broken down into five parts. The other parts can be accessed using the links below:

Part 1    Part 2     Part 3    Part 5

-----

Mark McLaughlin

Q1 My first wargame design was Dark Lord - an LOTR strategic game.  Citadel optioned it, gave me a small advance and was working on it... when they lost a trademark battle with SPI (which came out with War of the Ring).  I was still in college... but three years later I got a contract to design War and Peace (1980) for Avalon Hill... and the 7th edition of that title came out last fall by Avalon Digital... so 46 years after the first printing it is still going strong (and is available on Steam in the digital version: Napoleon's Eagles)

It was "done" when my developer at AH said it was "done"... and that was Frank Davis, who by the way is still designing games (and who is still a friend).

War & Peace, now in it's seventh edition. A big game warrants a big box.

Q2 I picked Dark Lord because at the time there was no strategic war game on LOTR... as for War and Peace (, it is a funny story. I had just gotten married and came home to find my key did not fit in my office door - the company had folded while I was on my honeymoon (it was an ad agency). We were living in Maryland, and I thought, well, I have been playing AH games since middle school (my first was Waterloo) so why not write to them and see if I can get a tour of their offices and see how they make games.

Don Greenwood responded and up to Baltimore I went.  While there, Tom Shaw, the VP came by to take Don to lunch and said, "bring your friend." We went to the restaurant, and as I was raising a spoonful of the crab soup to my lips, Tom asked "so what is this game you want to pitch to us?"

I had not come up there to do that. I did not have anything in mind... but when opportunity knocks, it is a good idea to answer the door. Between that moment and the dessert, I came up with and pitched the idea for War and Peace.  Went back to the office and signed the contract. The rest (nearly 30 games later) is history.

-----

Mark Simonitch

Q1 The first game that I actually finished was a WWII North Africa game called The Legend Begins (Rhino Game Co., 1991). I made a full demo of it and sent it to Avalon Hill around 1989 as a game submission. Don Greenwood sent me back a polite letter saying the company was going in a different direction but did mention he was impressed. I had worked on it too long to give up, so about a year later I set up my own game company, Rhino Game Co., and self-published it.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4884/the-legend-begins-north-africa-1940-42

Q2 In my youth I was very interested in the North African campaign and played Avalon Hill’s Afrika Korps game (Avalon Hill, 1964) more than any other game.

I think it was the “legend” of Rommel and the Afrika Korps, and the fascinating back and forth advances across North Africa that inspired me.

There were already many games out on the North Africa campaign, but I wanted to highlight the excitement of Rommel’s initial advance to Tobruk and the battles around Tobruk.

-----

Martin Melbardis

Q1 My first wargame design that felt 100% complete would have to have been Conquest: Fall Blau back in 2020, which was later changed to Campaign: Fall Blau (Catastrophe Games, 2023) when later picked up by a publisher.

It was actually the second game I managed to complete for a contest over on BGG. The feedback and interest for this game really pushed me into further polishing it through several iterations until it felt perfectly tuned and balanced. I can't stress enough how much the blind playtesting from the contest really helped me get it to the point of feeling 'done'.

I had completed a few smaller games for fun before Fall Blau but mostly I was moving from design to design without ever having completed much at all. I was always full of ideas that I wanted to explore without ever finishing anything enough to call it "done".

I honestly think that in my case joining a major BGG game design contest, with all the extra eyes, encouragement and deadlines it put on my project, it really helped me get over the invisible barrier of procrastination in game design. I always dreamt of creating wargames. However, after Fall Blau I think that finally shook the impostor syndrome and gained enough self-confidence so that I finally KNEW THAT I COULD design wargames. 

Q2 Most of the time I can watch a movie or documentary, read a book or simply see an inspiring image or miniature and get an idea for a wargame. Creativity comes to me in waves and it mostly flows with how I spend my free time. In the case of Campaign: Fall Blau, I believe I was inspired by a documentary about the Eastern front in WW2.

In my humble opinion... nothing really beats the Eastern front in wargaming and so once that wave of inspiration hit me, the choice was an easy one for me.  I also specifically picked operation Fall Blau as this operation was likely the turning point of the Eastern front and likely for the entire war. I felt like while this campaign (along with it's major battle of Stalingrad) is already very well represented in wargames, I could offer my own fresh new alternative perspective for wargamers by introducing a fast-playing solo game with only cubes, cards and dice with a surprising amount of depth.

-----

Maurice Suckling

Q1 Freeman's Farm: 1777 (Worthington Publishing, 2019).

Q2 I had recently moved to the USA and to Upstate NY, close to the battlefield, and had taken a new job which gave me time, and a little funding, to research games on the topic of Saratoga. I played all but one game (out of print) that had ever been published on the topic and wrote an article for an academic journal. (Simulating Saratoga: How Saratoga-Themed Board Games Function as Experiential Historiography October 2020 Board Game Studies Journal 14(1):83-108).


In the process of writing that article I found myself thinking about how I might approach the design of a game on the same topic. It was far from a unique topic, but I still felt there were other feasible approaches to it that had yet to be explored. For one thing, I wanted a game that was faster and didn't take several turns of a predictable British approach to the Bemis Heights to really get started. A game about the American Revolution also felt like an appropriate topic for a Brit living in the US.

-----

Michael Rinella

Q1 Around 1989 I designed a complete game that was Axis and Allies (Nova Game Designs, 1981) but only the Eastern Front from 1941 to 1945.  In hindsight it was far ahead of its time.

Q2 I liked both Axis and Allies and Avalon Hill's Russian Campaign (Jedko Games, 1974).  That was the reason.

-----

Michael Taylor

Q1 Tinian. [Released as Saipan & Tinian: Island War Series, Volume I (Legion Wargames, 2010).]

Q2 I have a strong interest in the WW2 Pacific Theater. I chose Tinian because there were no games on this subject that I was aware of, and I have a lot of reference material on my bookshelf. I coupled this game with one on Saipan. Even though many games on Saipan have been published, I included Saipan because of its relationship with Tinian. I have continued this trend and have about a dozen WW2 Pacific games in various stages of completion, but only Tinian and Saipan have been published.

My absolute requirement for a game design is that I have a strong interest in the subject. After that, the reason will vary.

1. A lack of games on a subject. This can be one that was never done, rarely covered, or when a new, fresh game is long overdue.

2. A new game is needed. This can be because of old, outdated, poorly written rules, flawed research, and/or poor graphics. In some cases, a different scale or approach is needed. Of course, all of this is based on my own personal opinion.

3. To make a small, easy-to-learn game from a larger, more complicated game.

-----

Mike Denson

[Note: below is an edited transcript of a conversation  had with Mike Denson via the Last Hundred Yards Discord channel. I went into the conversation thinking, "I have five... no, six squad or section level WWII tactical games; I don't need another one." Mike was very generous with his time, and we chatted for nearly an hour, mostly talking about how the LHY mechanics work and how the game plays out. After that conversation, I bought a copy of The Last Hundred Yards, Volume 3: Solomon Islands (GMT Games, 2022), and pre-ordered all the reprints on the P500 list. You have been warned.]

Q1 I’ve only designed one, The Last Hundred Yards (GMT Games, 2019).

Q2 I’ve been playing wargames for sixty-three years and have played just about every kind—operational, tactical, World War II, Napoleonic, and many others. For years, I lived in large cities such as Houston and Austin, where I regularly had friends over to play. When I moved back to a small town in East Texas, however, I no longer had a local gaming group.

Around that time, I reconnected with a cousin I had not seen in many years. He was a Vietnam veteran who had never played a wargame, so I persuaded him to try one. Because of his experience as an infantryman, he was interested in tactical combat rather than operational-level games. He also wanted something he could enjoy over a beer without having to spend hours studying complicated rules.

We tried Advanced Squad Leader (Avalon Hill, 1985) and Combat Commander (GMT Games, 2006). ASL was far too complex for what he wanted, while Combat Commander did not appeal to him because of its card-driven system. Eventually, I pulled counters from one game and a map from another, and we began improvising—almost like two kids playing with toy soldiers.

We met every Friday, and after a few weeks I realized I needed to start writing down the rules because I could no longer remember how we had handled things in previous games. Although I had never designed a game before, I had decades of experience playing them and understood how game systems worked.

What began as two or three pages of notes gradually became five pages, then a collection of handmade maps and increasingly detailed rules. I eventually found a graphic artist in Houston who helped produce professional-looking maps. We continued playing, testing, and refining the game until the rules had grown to twelve or fifteen pages.

I then introduced the game to several other friends. They enjoyed it and encouraged me to publish it. At the time, however, I had no idea how to begin that process.

I knew Dean Essig through a small gaming event he held at his headquarters in Illinois, and I went up there a couple of times. He’s one of my favorite designers, and I had played a lot of his OCS—Operational Combat Series—games.

I called him and said, “Dean, I’ve got a game I’d like you to look at. I’m not looking for you to publish it, I just want to know whether you think it’s actually a game.”

So, I drove from Texas to Homer, Illinois, and we sat in his kitchen for two days playing it. He gave me the thumbs-up. He liked the game and told me not to let anyone change certain features that he thought made it work.

After that, I looked around at how designers normally submitted games to publishers. Usually, you had to prepare a proposal, explain what the game was about, submit all the required material, and wait for someone to get back to you.


GMT Games held its annual Weekend at the Warehouse in Hanford, California. I owned a lot of GMT games, so I packed up my game, flew to California, walked in the door, and asked who owned the company.

They pointed across the room and said, “That man over there.”

I asked his name, and they told me it was Gene Billingsley. So, I walked over, introduced myself, and told him I had designed a game. Gene is a nice guy, and we had a good conversation. We talked about the large number of tactical games already on the market. Over the course of the weekend, he had several of his friends play my game, and afterward he told me he would get back to me.

Three or four weeks later, Gene called and said GMT was interested. The next step was meeting his two partners: Mark Simonitch, who handled the artwork, and Tony Curtis, who handled the financial side of the business.

I drove to Dallas and met Mark and Tony in Tony’s dining room. We played the game, and they asked me a lot of questions. That was probably sometime in December or January. Then Gene called and said, “Okay, we’re going to publish your game.”

Most designers begin by choosing a subject, conducting the research, and then designing the game. That wasn’t how it worked for me. I designed the game first and did most of the research afterward, primarily to verify the design, and to refine it and make it publishable.

I probably read sixty or seventy books, especially firsthand accounts. I wasn’t as interested in what the generals had to say. I wanted to hear from the privates, lieutenants, captains, and colonels—the people who were actually there.

The central theme of the game, from the very beginning, was the human element––small unit behavior in combat. Most tactical games are built around weapons systems: armor thickness, rates of fire, penetration values, and similar factors. They often place less emphasis on the people behind the guns.

I decided that everything in this game would be viewed through the lens of what a real person might do in a foxhole or under pressure in a particular situation. My emphasis was on tactics and human behavior.

For an example, suppose you are a captain commanding an infantry company. What pressures are you facing? For one thing, you cannot fully control time. Someone may be wounded. You may be waiting for artillery support. Something that was supposed to happen may not happen. At the same time, you still have an objective, and you do not have all week to accomplish it. You have a limited amount of time––but time is not something someone can control.

The other thing I wanted to emphasize was that officers cared about their men. They did not want to waste their lives. In some games, you might begin with nine squads and finish with only one squad remaining, but because that squad occupies the victory hex, you win.

That is not really a victory. It is a Pyrrhic victory. You have lost nearly ninety percent of your troops. In reality, your own men might have shot you before you ever reached that point.

In this game, once you accomplish your objective, you calculate a final score. That score is based on how much time the mission took and how many casualty points you suffered or inflicted.

For example, each squad has two steps. If one of your squads takes a step loss, the marker on the Casualty Track moves one box to the left. If it takes two step losses, it moves two boxes to the left. If the enemy takes a step loss, the marker moves one box to the right.

Each box on the track has a Casualty Point Value, typically three Casualty Points. In this example, you need a final score of thirty or less to win, thirty-one to forty for a draw, and if the final score is greater than forty you will lose. If you completed the objective in twenty-six minutes, but you suffered two more casualty steps than your opponent, then you must add six points to your score––three Casualty Points for each step loss. That gives you a final score of thirty-two, resulting in a draw.

Success is therefore a function of how well you manage your casualties, avoid unnecessary risks, and deal with time and initiative—factors you cannot completely control.

A company commander cannot control everything. He has to manage confusion, pressure, uncertainty, and unexpected events. In other words, he has to manage chaos.

Chaos is a major part of the game.

-----

Morgane Gouyon-Rety

Q1 The very first game I brought to something resembling completion was a multiplayer game named "Le droit de la lance" (lit. "The right of the spear", probably should be "Spearwon" in English), which covered the wars of Alexander's Successors on a system twice-derived from Diplomacy. It was based on a Diplomacy derivative named Les Diadoques (Casus Belli, 1991) by French designer Jean-Marc Zaninetti, which was published as a magazine game in 1992 in French game mag Casus Belli. I was in engineering school at the time and we played it extensively with my gaming group there, prompting me to dive deeply into this fascinating period of history. As I grew quickly frustrated with the very bare bones design of Les Diadoques, I started adding players, various elements and, let's be honest, quite a bit of chrome, which resulted in a much meatier game by 1994, when it went through it one and only play as PBEM, with something like ten players, many of them were, at the time, prominent French players, including two Diplomacy World Champions. I was the referee, and from what I recall, a significant part of the diplomacy efforts that took place over the next months was directed at me, with players trying to convince me to "improve" the rules, somehow always in their favour... 😉 Aged 23 at the time, I had no idea how to proceed from there and figured I should file the game rules under French copyright laws, which I did. However, the game, as far as I know, has never been played again.

In the following years, with life becoming busy with work and family, I did work on and off on a number of concepts for a "proper" (or is it "ultimate"?) Diadochoi game, as I kept reading and learning about the period, which allows me to conciliate my love of Ancient history and of the Art of War.  But nothing concrete, no prototype came out of this, though the notes still take a significant chunk of cabinet space today... Until for some reason in 2013, nearly twenty years later, I came up with the idea of porting the Twilight Struggle (a game I mechanically admire, but dislike theme-wise) to the Hellenistic era, though not with the Successors, but rather one century later, with established kingdoms, and made it into a playable prototype in a few weeks of creative folly. Nothing remains mechanically of this initial prototype, but this eventually became Hubris: Twilight of the Hellenistic World (GMT Games, 2025), which was released last year by GMT Games. Ironically, it was yet another game, started one year later in 2014, but drawing on some of the lessons learnt from this first version of Hubris, which became my first released game in 2017 as Pendragon - The Fall of Roman Britain GMT Games, 2017), another of my pet historical periods...

Q2 I remain to this day fascinated by the period of the Successor Kingdoms, on which I now own close to 100 books. Why?

First for the greater-than-life characters and the amazing historical setting, which started as a kind of sandbox situation with no ideology, but simply pure individual ambitions. And most of them being remarkably militarily talented. As I sometimes say, imagine if Napoleon had somehow triumphed of Russia and England, establishing a Europe-wide empire, only to die with a child heir, leaving his marshals fighting it out to seize his succession, or carve themselves new kingdoms...


Second because this is one of the periods of history that fascinate me, those I call "hinge periods", because they represent the change from one historical paradigm (here the Greek classical world) to another (the Roman empire). A hinge period not only politically, but also in terms of civilisation, science, art, religion... The (relative) merge of the Greek and Middle Eastern traditions, which formed the basis of the so-called "Graeco-Roman civilisation".

This is why, now that Hubris had been released, and its game engine matured, I am drawing back on all that accumulated knowledge (and archives) to start work on a new game using the Hubris engine, covering the Successors' Wars, and tentatively named today... "Spearwon" 🙂

-----

Nicola Contardi

Q1 My first design was All is Lost Save Honour: Campaigns of the Italian Wars 1494-1530 – Vol.1 (Europa Simulazioni, 2006). Incidentally that game was the reason I founded Europa Simulazioni. Then other ideas and projects followed it ...

Q2 The reason of my first design and then my first publication, was that there was no real simulation nor a good game on that subject/period. I think that Early Modern era offers a very vast multitude of new subjects for games that are not yet exploited. The period is interesting to me because it was an era of impressing changes, not only in the way of waging wars, but also in living, thinking, arts. The old world, the middle-ages, was dying once for all, and our era was being born. An epoch also of crisis, religious, social, cultural... something which is very similar today era in a word.

Still, this is my favourite era for wargames (and honestly, I'm fed up with the 5,000th Bulge game...).

-----

Pascal Toupy

Q1 I designed my first wargame when I was twelve years old! It was actually a set of miniature rules that I created so I could play more “seriously” with my Napoleonic-era Airfix figures. I was reading accounts of battles such as Austerlitz and Waterloo, and I tried to recreate the same feel using my miniatures and a few D6s. I also spent countless hours poring over the Funcken books, which helped enormously with the sense of immersion. Solo games followed one another in the family attic, and over time the rules kept growing and becoming more refined.

Then one day I discovered the French magazine Jeux & Stratégie, which featured articles about wargames, and I suddenly realised that other people were doing the same kind of thing I was!

Many years later, I dug out my old notebooks so that I could play those rules with my son. I started improving them again, and since he was much more interested in World War II, I adapted the system to that period. I also began using the rules at my local club to introduce younger players to wargaming. They received such a warm response that my fellow gamers encouraged me to publish them. That is how Pijamas Vae Victus—an acronym for the French phrase Papa Il Joue Avec Moi Aux Soldats, roughly “Daddy Plays Toy Soldiers With Me”—was eventually published in 2014 by the French wargaming magazine Vae Victis.

Q2 Back in the 1980s in France, if a teenager wanted to explore history, the two most accessible periods were World War II and the Napoleonic era. To me, the Napoleonic saga felt more epic, more colourful, and more romantic. The real spark came when I received a set of Airfix miniatures as a birthday present. From that moment on, I wanted to bring those battles to life on the tabletop.

----

Paul Hellyer

Q1 That was Blue Riband, a historical simulation about the construction and operation of transatlantic liners in the early 20th-century. It was designed to recreate the conditions that led to the Titanic and Lusitania disasters. So players would build and operate these liners with perverse incentives to emphasize luxury and speed at the expense of safety. It was never commercially published but available for a time through a print-on-demand service.

 


Q2 I had some personal interest in the stories of the two ships and I wanted a topic that offered public domain material, so I could make the game realistic without having to pay licensing fees or worry about getting sued. I was also interested in making player psychology and scoring objectives part of the simulation: so it's the scoring objectives that put players in the same mindset as the owners of the White Star Line and Cunard, and it's what motivates them to potentially make the same questionable choices that happened in real life. These same motivations carry over to Prime Minister GMT Games, 2023) and Tsar (GMT Games, ~2027). 

[Note: I enjoyed some back and forth with several designers while working on this project, and Mr Hellyer was one of these. I had mentioned I’d toyed with including a third question, but decided not to make it even more difficult to respond. Paul answered it anyway.]

Bonus question: How did that first experience influence subsequent designs?

Making Blue Riband was fun, but it was also largely a failure, as often happens with a first design. Before starting work on the game, I read lots of advice on board game design and found that one of the most common tips was to work out the design before you make any components. I took that to heart. I spent a lot of time working out the rules and mechanics before thinking about components. And then when it came time to design the components, I quickly realized that my concept was totally impractical. It would have cost hundreds of dollars from a print-on-demand service and would have taken up more table space than most people could accommodate. I also realized that some ideas that seemed good on paper didn't turn out so well when rendered in playable components. So I had to make radical cuts to the design and what I ended up with was a poor representation of my original concept and of course it didn't play as well as it should have. So, after that, I tossed the advice I had read and did things my own way. I start with research, then begin collecting public domain images. The available images actually inform some choices about content. I then start an iterative process of working out mechanics, sketching out components, doing cost estimates, browsing more images, running simulations of the game as soon as I've got some rough components together, and revising components. It's an inefficient process that I wouldn't necessarily recommend to others, but it's my process. I like the results.

-----

Petr Mojzis

Q1 I have started with Wing Leader (GMT Games, 2015) scenarios and got in touch with the game designer. He later decided to make an expansion with various fan-made scenarios, and so I had something published. That encouraged me to do the first game The Bell ofTreason (GMT Games, 2025). Having the game (or scenario) done is a gut feeling, imho. The real publishing cycle is so long in my experience that feeling "done" comes years before the work with a publisher comes in.

Q2 This is simple in my case. I only want to cover the not-yet-covered historical topics so far. And since almost nobody is doing games about the history of my country, I have plenty of topics to choose from. On the other hand, I try to cover the topics that are not solely local but are in some way potentially interesting worldwide (e.g. appeasement in the case of The Bell of Treason).

-----

Philip Jelley

Q1 I forget who said it, but “Wargames are never completed, only published”. I forget which game I thought was ready to be published, but the first response I had was from Adam Starkweather of MMP in 2011 for Empire of Rome (Web-published, 2009) - a sequel to Republic of Rome (Avalon Hill, 1990). I recall that I sent in several games, including Our Chief of Men (The Campaigns of Oliver Cromwell 1648-51) and Mandate of Heaven (Web published, ~2013) a Britannia (Avalon Hill, 1986) -style game set in China. In the end, MMP did not publish and looking back the games were not done. All of them have been heavily modified since and I am still tweaking them here and there.


Q2 I first worked on Empire of Rome in 1995 when I was at RAF Brize Norton, where I had a lot of time on my hands. I was reading Colleen McCullough’s First Man in Rome series, bought Republic of Rome, and as I was interested in Roman history I expanded it into Empire of Rome. It was a monster game with 50 provinces instead of the dozen in Republic of Rome, and it took an hour to work through the administration each turn. This was later simplified into a solitaire game Rome, Inc. (Against the Odds,2021) , which was published by ATO in 2021.

-----

Philippe Thibaut

Q1 The game was called East India Companies and was an area-based movement / turn-by-turn game covering European expansion in the Indian subcontinent and southeast Asia (up to Formosa). I created it in 1983-84 and sent the prototype to Victory Games and 3W games at the time. It was not published as the American reviewers felt the gameplay and thematic were too obscure for their market... funny thing is that this game evolved to become the Europa Universalis game (designed 86-92 and published 93) which has become one big boardgame success (and a huge computer game success).

Q2 I had been great fan of stories of the Portuguese expansion in the Far East, of the VOC (Dutch East India Company) conquest of the crumbling Lusitanian empire in SE Asia, of the history of the John Company (the British EIC) and the French Compagnie des Indes Orientales... this was full of incredible adventures and feats, some of them barely believable but true. One key factor was many readings of books on the matter, in particular some of the great French historian Fernand Braudel.

-----

Raymond Fiore

Q1 First design: Cactus Air Force (Compass Games, ~2027). 

[Note: For reasons (presumably business-related) Compass Games made the the decision to publish Mr Fiore's second game, Chopper Pilot Vietnam (Compass Games, ~2026), ahead of Cactus Air Force, which we should see in stores next year.]

Q2 I have been interested in the Pacific War (and aviation in general) from an early age so this was a natural fit. Being a Marine didn't hurt either.

-----

Rex Brynan

Q1 My first published game wasn't a wargame at all—it was AFTERSHOCK (PAXSims, 2015), a serious game about humanitarian assistance and disaster relief. It grew out of a "game lab" session I organized at a Connections professional wargaming conference in Washington, DC, and was then playtested for several years, by my students at McGill University and by professional colleagues, until we felt it was ready for release.


Q2 I teach and sometimes consult on complex humanitarian operations, so the subject fit naturally with my work as both scholar and practitioner. There was also a practical reason: Connections wanted a conference topic relevant to military planners but not focused on kinetic operations, so the Game Lab session centered on relief efforts during the 2010 Haiti earthquake.

Happily, those who work in this area have found it useful—the game is used in several countries for teaching military and other personnel about humanitarian assistance and disaster response (HADR) operations: https://paxsims.wordpress.com/aftershock/

-----

Rick Young

Q1 My first completed design, which was not published, was a Fantasy design based based loosely on Tolkein’s Middle Earth. I designed it while I was in the Marine Corps, during weekends with too much time to kill in the barracks in Camp Le Jeune in North Carolina. It was an Empire building game where four to six players represented human settlements on the coast and they expanded inland, finding orc packs and other nasty’s that had to be defeated and driven further inland while each empire expanded. Eventually the threats became your human neighbors more than the diminishing dark lands, and betrayals occured naturally. It was fun, but not a topic that I felt would have been published or widely received in the mid seventies.

Q2 What inspired my design for that game was the good vs evil theme that reading Tolkien placed in my young 19-year-old brain.

-----

Robert Markham

My first game, The Rise of the House of Sa’ud (3W, 1985), with the help of Mark Seaman came about because we were both in a graduate course on Saudi Arabia and I got the idea that there might be a game in it. I had the original design in a matter of days and then Mark added suggestions. I was very happy with the results, but not the art work of the published design.

-----

Ross Mortell

Q1 My first game that I felt was done is called The House and is a horror game set in an old mansion. Although all my friends love playing it, I felt that it was too 'old school' for the modern market.

I then worked on Tinian, Saipan and Guam for the CSS series published by Compass Games.

Q2 My gaming group would have a random number of people turn up every week. I wanted a game that could be played by 1 to 8 players so I came up with the House. Each person plays a different character (Policeman, Priest, Private eye, Boxer etc.) and it can accommodate any player count.

-----

Russ Lockwood

Q1 I can't remember my first independent design, but I started by doing variants of existing Avalon Hill board wargames. These were published in little known amateur wargame magazines Pursue and Destroy (Larry Bost, publisher) as well as Jagdpanther (forget publisher). Ran "campaigns" for friends using variety of altered rules.

I first published original design Snappy Nappy – Napoleonic miniatures rules – back in 1994 as Shareware. This was popular in computer software circles. Gamers asked me for the rules and I sent them. They could copy and distribute as they wanted. I retained copyright, but if anyone liked them, they could send me what they wanted in cash. I guess I got about $100 all told.

Later, a rules publisher On Military Matters asked to publish it, so I wrote up a more comprehensive set. Added a Picasso-like cover I had custom drawn, and ran games at conventions. Received well enough with a tad over 1,000 copies sold worldwide. Biggest appeal is one campaign, up to 20 players, and up to 15 separate tables. Players move between tables with their troops. Only "fog of war" means they don't know what's on the next table. A club in CT was so taken, they set up SnapCon one-day convention for the last 10 or so years.


Working on new rules sets, but rather determined to make it as smooth mechanics as Snappy Nappy.

Q2 I picked Napoleonics because I wanted a bigger scale game with lots of maneuver. The rules I played were more straight up bashes.

-----

Ryan Heilman

Q1 Brave Little Belgium (Hollandspiele, 2019).

Q2 My co-designer, Dave Shaw, and I discussed the idea of creating a wargame while playing Afrika Korps (Avalon Hill, 1964) and Leningrad (SPI, 1979) at the WBC. He explained to me that after visiting Belgium with his wife that he had an idea to create a game on the battle for Belgium at the start of WWI. I thought it was an interesting idea and something not typically gamed so I asked him if I could start working on the basic design for it.

-----

Salvatore Vasta

Only My Design

1) The first one I felt was "done" was Unconditional Surrender! Case Blue (USCB) (Self-published, 2010). It is a small print-n-play spinoff of my much larger game, Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe (USE) (GMT Games, 2014). USCB is a stand-alone game that introduced players to USE's core land and air mechanics through a single campaign played with a much simpler ruleset, a few sheets of card stock, and 80 counters.

Unconditional Surrender: Case Blue was subsequently reprinted
 in C3i magazine, issue 28 (2014).

2) World War 2 military history is one of my "Big 3" historical periods which have always fascinated me. The other two are Ancient Greco-Roman and Napoleonic. For my first design I went with the strategic level sub-genre because I felt it had space for a different design perspective. I enjoyed other games in the sub-genre, even helping to co-design Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg! (Decision Games, 1999). However, none of them seemed to fit what I was looking for in a simulation so I set about to create my own design. Many years later and with a lot of help from others, USE was published and well received, especially around the elements that I set as design goals. 

Playtesting Allowed

1) The first one would be GMT's Great Battles of History (GBoH) series, CAESAR: The Great Battles of Julius Caesar  (GMT Games, ). I playtested all the scenarios and offered some scenario specific rules that helped simulate the battles.

2) Ancient Greco-Roman military history is one of my "Big 3" historical periods which have always fascinated me. The other two are World War 2 and Napoleonic. I loved how the GBoH series represented ancient warfare on a scale that matched what I read in the history books and ancient sources. The series was and still is very popular. Playtesting the game gave me an opportunity to input on its development and proved the gateway to my design aspirations. 

Another Designer's Game Allowed

1) The first was co-designing Decision Games' Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg! That game was a greatly expanded edition of its predecessor game, Totaler Krieg! (Decision Games, 1999).  

2) World War 2 military history is one of my "Big 3" historical periods which have always fascinated me. The other two are Ancient Greco-Roman and Napoleonic. To me, Totaler Krieg! was a wonderfully innovative strategic level simulation that fit was I was looking for in a game of its scale. I became disenchanted with strategic level WW2 games that were, in my opinion, not true strategic designs, but rather operational level games that were expanded to include more territory and had strategic elements strapped on to them. TK's focus was higher up and I hoped to continue its innovation.

-----





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feature: Where Do I Begin? Inspiration and intent in wargame design

  Good developers and play testers are a designers greatest asset.       Introduction [This first part is rather self-indulgent and a little...