Thursday, 8 October 2026

Inspiration and intent in wargame design – Appendix: Survey responses, part 5

  


As part of the survey conducted for the article recently posted on A Fast Game, I sort permission to publish each designer’s response in a follow-up post. I didn’t anticipate the number of respondents, or the weight of text contributed (all up, around 37,000 words), so what had been envisaged as a single supplementary post will now be split over three posts. I encourage anyone interested in game design to read through these contributions. Some are brief, others quite long but all are worthwhile.

I have decided to present the collected data in alphabetical order by first name, in keeping with the taxonomy used by Boardgamegeek.com. This raises my librarian hackles, but it seemed to make sense while collating the data during analysis, and at this point I no longer possess the wherewithal re-format the entire set.

The respondents were asked to offer answers to two questions:

Question 1: What was your first wargame (or historical game) design; not necessarily your first published game – that you worked up to a point where it felt “done”?

Question 2: Why did you pick that topic or historical situation to make a game about?

In most instances, I have numbered the responses. Some respondents didn’t strictly follow the two-question format and answered in a more free-form manner. In these other cases I have dispensed with the question number schema.

For ease of reading, this appendix has been broken down into five parts. The other parts can be accessed using the links below:

Part 1    Part 2     Part 3    Part 4

-----

Scott Holmgren

Q1 I started wargaming in junior high in the late 70s. In the mid-90s I got more engaged with the rise of desktop publishing and begin helping Kerry Anderson and his Microgame Design Group designing game covers and a website. I also worked with Rob Markham and got to know Paul Rohrbaugh and Perry Moore. I also worked with Bill Gibbs and Omega Games. It was at that point that decided to design my first war-game.

My first game was Fire in Mississippi (Blue Guidon Games, 1999) that I self-published as https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/961/blue-guidon-games. It simulated the October 1862 battle of Corinth in the American Civil War. I wore all the production hats and had a great team of play testers provide feedback. That was in 1999. In 2003 I published a follow up, Thunder on South Mountain (Blue Guidon Games, 2000), using the same game system on that battle in September 1862, that won the CSR Award for best DTP game. In 2005 I re-developed and published the Perry Moore designed The SS Abyss (Blue Guidon Games, 1995) that covered WW2 in Hungary 1945.

Q2 I picked the battle of Corinth for my first design because the Civil War is my primary interest for military history. It also was a battle that didn’t seem to get much attention. I know SPI had published Richard Berg’s Corinth game in 1981, but I was unfamiliar with it, though I had the Pea Ridge game from the GBACW series. Because of its smaller scale, I figured Corinth would be easier to wrap my brain around in scope and to test the things I wanted my game to focus on.

I’ll also invite you to check out my Civil War podcast, Breaking Nation. It’s available on Apple, Spotify, wherever you get your podcast fix.

-----

Radetzky's March: the Road to Novara (Dissimula Edizioni, was the Second
(revised) Edition of Radetzky's March: the Hundred Hours' Campaign. 

Sergio Schiavi

So, my first wargame was Radetzky's March: the Hundred Hours Campaign (Dissimula Edizioni, 2018). You should know, however, that it has had two editions released within a relatively short period of time. Although the core system is essentially the same, the two editions differ significantly in several respects: the number of maps, a revised order of battle, a streamlined rulebook, more options to increase replayability, and, perhaps most importantly, much larger counters.

-----

Steffen Beck

Q1 I have only one real wargame, Dune: Struggle for Arrakis (Web-published, 2017). It feels pretty done but of course I often want to tweak a few things.

Q2 I love the Dune world. It’s that simple, and I thought it was odd that (at that time) no one had made a proper wargame about the topic.

-----

Stephen Newberg

Q1 My first design was also my first published; it was SSN: Modern Tactical Submarine Warfare (GDW, 1975).

Q2 At the time I was in the US military with a specialization in submarine tactical employment. The design dealt with that topic and its military version was created to help game out submarine and anti-submarine usage.  I later created a commercial version, and then spent over a year getting it security cleared for civilian publication. 

This basic sequence of events happened with a number of my later projects covering current or projected military activities as well, but by the 1990s it had become so difficult and time consuming that I have not done a project dealing with current military employment of any type since.

-----

Stephen R. Welch

Q1 My first wargame design that I worked to the "done" point was, in fact, my first published wargame, Chandragupta (GMT Games, 2008).

Q2 I picked this topic because I was a huge Great Battles of History series (GMT Games) player and fan at the time, and I wanted to introduce Indian military history to the hobby in general and the GBoH series in particular. I felt that the history of the Subcontinent was under-represented and thought there would be interest. I became interested in Indian military history through my wife, who is Indian.

-----

Steve Dixon

Q1 My first war game design was B-29 Superfortress (Legion Wargames, 2008). Shawn Rife was my partner at the time. The game was also my first published game. Legion Wargames thought it good enough to publish in 2008. It was nominated as best historical board games by Games magazine that year but lost to GMT's entry.


Q2 I am an Air Force brat and a WW2 amateur historian. Been around aircraft all my life: first the USAF when my dad served, then I served in the Marines with VMFA-251. I worked on the F-4J Phantom II. Later on in civilian life I ended up working for a company that manufactured cabin emergency exit trainers for the airline industry.

My mom lived through her childhood in Nazi-occupied France and my grandfather served as a combat engineer with the 70th Infantry Division (ETO) during WW2. While my dad was stationed at Kadena AB, Okinawa from 1965-1970, I learned that Okinawa was the last land battle of the Pacific War. I explored that island whenever I could, finding items to sell to the battle museum on Fort Sukiran. So WW2 is in my blood. Combined with my love for aviation, the majority of my game designs cover WW2 aviation. Since I played B-17: Queen of the Skies (Avalon Hill, 1981) quite often at the time, I though the game mechanics would provide a good foundation to design B-29.

Incidentally, I was introduced to war games in 1967 receiving three Avalon Hill games as Christmas presents (D-Day (Avalon Hill, 1961), Battle of the Bulge (Avalon Hill, 1965), and Jutland (Avalon Hill, 1967)). Been playing ever since.

-----

Steve Fratt

In the 1960s my dad, a buyer at Sears, took me to the movies at least twice a month and made sure I received Marx playsets for Christmas. My unsophisticated games were simple: 1) use as many soldiers as possible, 2) use a d6...declare Infantry, need to roll a 1 or 2... declare cannon, need a hard 6 to knock down that many figures. But then he brought back Joseph Morchauser’s How to Play Wargames from New York in 1966.This introduced me to historical contexts for my games, but more importantly...I began buying Jack Scruby’s 20mm figures...Greeks and Persians (I still have them). I even met him in 1970 on trips to Visalia and then, Cambria.

I was into Napoleonics in college. I cranked out a 200-page Honors project on the Waterloo Campaign, complete with maps on the facing pages like the West Point atlases. We played Scotty Bowden’s Empire II (Empire Games, 1977) all the time. Norm Flam of the Last Grenadier in Burbank, CA invited George Jeffrey to come out and introduce us to his ideas on the “variable length bound” which played like a Kriegsspiel game. Now, the minions at the Grenadier would have none of it since they preferred the “chess-like” procedure of having QUARTER TURNS for Empire II (five-minute turns), they wanted to play chess while they admired their beautifully painted figures. I asked George to take me on for correspondence, but he said he was too busy... but, he said, “you ought to get in touch with this guy... Paddy Griffith! My life completely changed. Paddy became a good friend, and we began a dialogue over the issue of chaos vs order on the real battlefield. Paddy was my tutor for a higher level of source analysis as an historian... add common sense.

While reading Scottish sermons at the Huntington Library in Pasadena, CA for my dissertation (Enlightenment intellectual history) I pulled some books on the Civil War and into one on the 22nd Massachusetts where I read at 1st Bull Run, they “equalized companies under fire!” Clearly not your usual primary source dealing with hardtack and coffee. Paddy encouraged me to write an article and submit it to Gunther Rothenburg’s Indiana Military History Journal. So, I had my first serious article on military history. Thirty years later, Earl Hess noted my contribution to his thinking on Civil War tactics on how drill instilled some lingering order on the chaotic battlefield.

I also had the honor of being a part of Griffith’s Battle Tactics of the Civil War in the late 80s. So, my academic career had a serious impact on my thinking on war gaming.

Another line of influence on me was my entry into the world of living history... reenacting. In graduate school (UCSB) I learned sabre fencing and had the opportunity to teach it for one quarter when our Hungarian maestro passed three days before the beginning of the quarter. One of my students was a fighter in the Society for Creative Anachronism - practical medieval combat. By the end of the quarter, I had become Steven Westbourg of Flanders, a Flemish knight supporting the city of Courtrai during the early 1300s. Academic moves to Kansas and then Chicago prevented me from advancing in rank in the society, but I caught the living history bug, so I expanded my historical kits from the middle-ages, to Greece, Rome, and the Civil War and WWII. This participation impacted my creative imagination of what actually happened in combat across the ages. After moving to Chicago (Trinity International University) I spent eight years in the 90s being a Confederate at Sharpsburg 997: 13000) and Gettysburg (98: 30000 military!) In 2000 I was invited to command the 19th IL, Chicago Zouaves, so I went Federal. I served as the adjutant for the Illinois Battalion for ten years made drill and tactics second nature to me. In 2011at the beginning of the 150th season, I had become the Chief of Staff for the 1st Brigade, IL Vols and then became the commanding Colonel of the brigade, creating battles for the public and participating at a high level on staff at national events.

So, I have laid out the academic and living history backgrounds influencing my tabletop thinking. For years I used Empire II and [Brigade] Fire and Fury (Fire and Fury, 1990) for my games. But then in 2013, when I won the main prize for my Three Days at Gettysburg for the Little Wars convention, I had an epiphany! When we had 20 Confederate batteries fire upon Cemetery Hill, dutifully measuring and applying modifiers to see if we could hit anything, and coming up empty, I left the convention thinking, “there is something wrong here! There must be a better way!” So, I went back to reading new books on Gettysburg and Waterloo and integrated that with my own experience on faux battlefields.

The major design concept that I stumbled on was that we were attached to the notion (from our board gaming experience) that we resolved our miniature battles with the roll of a single 1d6 modified by pages of charts that realized the historical accuracy we sought for our games. The huge problem with this traditional approach was that we embraced a disconnect between thumbing through tons of charts, taking our eyes off the gaming table to achieve our cherished claim to “historical accuracy.” We lost so many musket age gamers because they got too frustrated with the overwhelming numbers of charts, we had to use to distinguish between the three universes of the different arms: infantry, cavalry, artillery. I decided I needed to move away from the single die roll resolution model and break that up to numerous die rolls that retained the integrity of each of the three arms: infantry, cavalry, artillery.

The Artillery

In my live-fire experience with Civil War cannons, I noticed that after a sounding shot or two, we could hit our rather large footprint of an enemy brigade, every time for 30 minutes! This reality implied our Fire and Fury procedure was, logical as a reasonable gaming device, but did not reflect reality! In the real world, the artillery would hit any targets that moved through their field of fire. It dawned on me I should not test to see if the artillery could hit the enemy... the proper procedure was to check the morale of the receiving unit to see how it responded to enemy fire. My academic reading on units in battle revealed that there was quite a breadth of outcomes off units receiving fire. Some would take losses and shake it off any reduction in their cohesion while others could be severely punished by a few horrific hits. What this suggested is that batteries should set up their fire missions for the 30-minute turn and then note all enemies moving through their field of fire during the turn and testing their morale based on how close they got to the battery during the move. My range sticks {a range chart sitting on the table, rather than being found on pages of charts} indicated the range at which units would need to take one, two, or three morale checks after moving. This approach helped speed up game play. Opposing players would place markers on units for receiving fire during their movement, and then make morale checks to see if their morale/cohesion dropped as a result. So, what about Morale/Cohesion?

Unit Morale and Cohesion

Every Unit begins with a Colored Cohesion rating that also includes a Morale number. Numbers 1-4 are Yellow (d6) raw conscripts, 5 and 6 are Green (d8) experienced soldiers, 7 and 8 are Blue (d10) seasoned, 9 and 10 are Red (d12) veterans and 11 and 12 are Purple (d20) Old Guard.

I also have a dashboard tray with magnetized labels to place over the original unit label. When a unit makes a Morale test, the roll a d10 trying to match the current morale number or lower. If they do, they “make” Morale and are okay. If they roll higher, they fail and are required to drop down as many times as they fail their morale: if you begin at 8 and fail three morale checks, you end up at 5 - but also note that the Blue 8 is now a Green 5. The color automatically changes with the new label. The Color is important because that is the color of Combat die you now roll. If firing at the enemy, you roll your combat die and need to get a 6 or better to get a Hit, forcing the enemy to test its morale, once for each Hit. When you reach Zero, the unit routs. This system keeps all the bookkeeping on the table with the unit so you do not have to look away from the table at a roster sheet. You always know what your current Cohesion rating is by looking at the color on the label... that is your Combat Die color, when firing you always need a 6 or better.

Integrated Movement

My ground scale is 1" = 50 yds [which can also be pro-rated to 1" = 100yds], 30-minute turns, so Infantry moves 1200 yds in 30 minutes = 24" and Cavalry moves 28." Movement is conducted in an integrated manner. Players roll a contested die roll based on the ability of their overall commanders for the battlefield [or portion thereof if divided into sections] - if course the die rolled is one of the colors: yellow [d6], green [d8], blue [d10], red [d12], purple [20]. The winner decides which flank will begin movement. Think of a laser beam aligned with the flank and it begins to move across the length of the table, it touches units on both sides of the table. When a unit is touched, it moves for the turn and so on down the line. All players are glued to movement as it is conducted across the table. This really speeds things up! In addition, moving units 24" per turn instead of a measly 6" reflects reality better as you unleash your troops into battle, instead of moving them, controlled, like chess pieces across the table. When I run a game and ask a player what they want to do with a unit, they typically will say “move it forward” - to which I say “how far along their 24"? - the player is uncomfortable with moving so far out of their control. I then say, you want to attack this enemy unit, right? Yes. So, bring out a 3" Red Arrow, place it against your chosen target, and then we ask, is you unit within 24" of the base of the arrow? Yes, so pick up your unit and set it at the base of the arrow! We usually do not need to bring out a measuring tape or ruler because it is so obvious to the eye. Note that a defending unit receive an attack is frozen in place and cannot move on its own. The advantage of choosing the operational flank for movement now becomes apparent. You can launch a series of attacks across the front that fixes the enemy in place. We now see that ii is important to have a second line o reserves to support the front line. That 3" arrow represents 150yds which is dealt with when we resolve Close Actions after movement is over. For Cavalry, the charge range is 8" [400yds] the distance cavalry may cross in 2 minutes. We will pick that up later.

Infantry Combat and the Cohesion Labels

So, when we resolve Close Actions, we go back to the original flank from which movement began and take care of them in the same sequence we used to conduct movement. So for a Close Action, an infantry unit needs to check its morale to see if it has the where with all to charge into the enemy. If it succeeds, it goes in. If it fails, it waddles up to 50yds and engages in a Firefight -it’s attack has failed and the indecisive Firefight begins. I think this reflects most accurately what happens on real battlefield. Decisive resolution of Close Actions means the attacking unit goes in with a bayonet charge to force the defender to flee and thus its position might be taken! I remember one player asked me “how close do I have to be to shoot.” My response usually is “if you stop to shoot, your attack has failed! A true teachable moment. But that is how they fought -is the reply. Exactly! They were not trained to make real charges to force the enemy to flee! Of course, there are examples of bayonet charge: Lawrence and the 20th Maine at Little Round Top.

Now this is where leadership comes in. I have Division, Corps, Army commanders rated for their personal command ability - by die color, and rated for the efficiency of their HQ by having a number of Staff Officers: generally, 1 for every brigade under their command for Division leaders, number of divisions for a Corps commander etc. Fewer Staff if less efficient, more if more efficient. These Staff Officers function in several ways. If a unit does not make morale forgoing into Close Action, send a Staff to re-roll. If that fails, may repeat as much as you want, keeping in mind Staff might not be available for other actions that turn [and the next - I takes 1turn to recover them back to the HQ] In Close Action, you many send 1 in as a +1 modifier -however, that is +1 for any number of Staff with the unit, not for each one. Movement is generally straight forward or oblique by 22 ½ degrees right or left...if you want to maneuver outside that zone, send in 1 Staff as a guide for that unit. When you want to rally units, send in 1 Staff to rally it up 1 full color [from Green to Blue 8], or 2 Staff to rally up 2 full colors (from Yellow, to Blue 8). This is probably my most unique contribution. Lots of rules take 15-20 minutes to figure out “which units are in command.” In my reenacting experience, they have their orders - I purposefully do not game this - but need command attention for the special or unexpected situations, especially in combat as I describe above.

Back to the action. So, I the attacker goes in, the defender checks morale to see if they let off a full volley or a half volley of defensive fire: full volley, 1 die per stand, half volley 1 die per 2stands. All hits force the attacker to test morale that many times. This gives the defender a realistic advantage of defense. So the attacker might find their Cohesion will drop one, or perhaps two color levels, giving it a disadvantage in combat. Now we are ready for the final resolution. Both sides take their current combat die color, and then apply modifiers. Unlike other games which have modifiers on charts, I place modifiers on playing cards. Players look through their cards and lay down on the table the modifiers which apply. Advantages, you do not have to remember them in your head or count them on your fingers. So after rolling the dice and applying modifiers, if one side has a 2 to 1 ratio or better over the other, they have defeated the foe. You lose 1 Cohesion for the win [wear and tear] and the loser drops 2, or more Cohesion for the loss (3 to 1 defeat, drop 3, 4 to 1 defeat, drop 4, etc) If the loser reaches zero, it Routs off the field.

If neither side gets a 2 to 1 advantage, they are caught in a Firefight until next turn. However, the Attacker [who has the initiative] may send in a Staff to have both players re-roll their dice. This may be repeated as long as you can send in a new Staff Officer.

Cavalry

As I studied Napoleonic battles which had more battlefield cavalry, I realized I needed a separate routine for them. Cavalry moves to within 8" [400yds] of the target during the move because they can cover the final space in two minutes. I asked my chief of cavalry what the normal gait was for horses on the battlefield - she said “at the walk, sir” of course, you rest the horses until you unleash them into the fray. Since I have artillery fire right after the move, the 8" leaves an open LOS to enemy infantry, especially in squares, to be fired on by artillery before the cavalry charges in! No special rules needed here, it just works because of the procedure.

Studying the Battle of Quatre Bras, I noted Guiton’s Cuirassiers attacked six battalions. Usually, our procedure is attack one unit with the entire and hope for bonus charges. Melarchy! Have the Cuirassiers attack by Squadrons so they split up against several targets! To resolve their charge, they do not need to roll morale, the horses want to charge by the herd into the fray! Send in the 1st Squadron, the infantry are in square, or if not, they roll a critical morale test [need to roll half, rounded down to form square]. Now consider modifiers: if not in Square, infantry are -5, if in square, cavalry are -3. If the cavalry Squadron make 2 to 1 or more against the infantry, they drop that many Cohesion. The cavalry loses nothing and stays in place. It attacks again but the infantry needs to use the new Cohesion color for its own die. If the cavalry does not make 2 to 1or better, it is rallies back behind the parent unit, spent but not defeated. The riders could not get the horses to continue so they pull back to regroup but they are not psychologically defeated.  They will need to rest a turn to be ready to fight again. The cavalry commander may send in another Squadron or may abort the attack. Of course, there is more to it, but I think the concept is laid out here.

Finally, what about casualties? During the turn, units accumulate chits for their intensity in combat. This also might include combat vs Skirmishers. I place skirmishers out between the armies but so not combat with them. They tend to neutralize each other. Where they do count is when larger parent units attack. I have skirmishers fire at each other. The side with more hits places that many chits on the enemy parent unit. So at the end of the turn, each unit tests once per chit. If the unit cohesion is in the Yellow zone

(1, 2, 3, 4) it rolls twice for each chit. All fails cause the elimination of 1 enemy stand. I want players to realize it is the combat ability of a unit, not casualties that really matter. I small unit might still be battle worthy while big units might not be. At Antietam the largest Federal units were in the 12th Corps and they were green! (Yellow 4.)

So, what have I done:

1) place morale and cohesion in the proper place over casualty production

2) leadership is portrayed in a tangible, concrete way, mainly through its Staff

3) movement more realistic - 1200 yds per 30-minute turn [actually 36" / turn is 2 miles/hr]

4) integrated movement faster

5) combat at the point of the bayonet is more decisive than firefights

6) experienced players should be able to game a large battle on a long Saturday

-----

Steve L. Kling Jr

Q1 Death or Victory: The French and Indian War (Self-published, 2013). It was a limited war geographically with small number of units with a wealth of available historical information, making it a good choice for a first game.

Q2 I have always been interested in history since I was a young boy. My interests were reinforced by my father who was a graduate of New York Military Academy in the cavalry company, a feeder school for West Point. He used to take me to classic movies like El Cid, Lawrence of Arabia, The 300 Spartans, 55 Days at Peking, etc., and after watching these movies, I always wanted to know more. I was also dropped off at the local library every Saturday as my mother was busy and I gravitated toward the history and biography sections. The modern remake of the Last of the Mohicans was sort of the inspiration for my first game which I played around with for a few years before I posted it on BGG in 2013.

-----

Steve Pole

Q1 By way of background, I have always been fascinated by history, especially military history. When I was very young this manifested itself in making military models - Airfix planes and tanks - and painting miniatures. Having absolutely no talent in this regard, my friends, who shared similar interests, and I were delighted to discover AH and SPI games. These enabled us to play wargames without the need to spend hours making and painting models (badly). The route from there to designing my own games was pretty straightforward and, I imagine, fairly typical.

It began with modifying published games and progressed to designing my own. I am sceptical that, within the constraints of a two-player board wargame, it is possible to design anything approaching a realistic simulation of a given conflict. I don't think that there is any necessary correlation between complexity and accuracy. The best that can be hoped for is an entertaining game which highlights the principal choices available to the historical commanders and provides a plausible representation of the range of outcomes which might flow from each. Hence my games generally tend to be towards the lighter/simpler end of the wargames spectrum and are playable at a single sitting (OK, maybe two).

I find the focus of wargames upon certain geographical areas and eras - broadly the "West" and adjacent territories from 1800 to 1945 - to be surprising. Many parts of the globe with rich martial traditions, a love of games, and a burgeoning middle class with disposal income are neglected. A game I designed about the Second Anglo-Sikh War prompted quite a number of contacts from gamers in India who had no idea that our hobby even existed. Buoyed by this, I have started discussions with publishers in India and China to see if there is any prospect of their marketing games about historical conflicts in those countries.

Turning to your specific questions:

The first design I remember completing was about the Battle of Sedgemoor (1685) for a history project at school. I must have been about 14 or 15 at the time and it won a prize. Not for the best project; but, for the most fun/innovative approach to learning history!

Q2 The topic was chosen by the history teacher. I went to school in Bridgwater and the Monmouth Rebellion is probably the most famous event which happened in the locality.

A second thing I find surprising about the hobby is how few grognards seem to design their own games. My friends and I often select a conflict which seems interesting and design a simple game, using readily available items. So, we might modify an existing set of rules about a similar conflict, use a book about the subject (sometimes Wikipedia), as a basis for a map and/or OsOB, and purloin counters from existing games. Typically, the design will take a weekend (with perhaps a few extra evenings) to put together, so that the game is ready to play the following weekend.

-----

Sreven Cunliffe

Q1 The Hell of Stalingrad (was the first game I designed that reached publication, marking the beginning of what would become a lifelong journey in historical and military game design. The project was born during my final semester of college as I completed my degree in World War II history. For my senior research paper, I chose the Battle of Stalingrad—a campaign whose scale, brutality, and human tragedy had fascinated me for years. As I immersed myself in firsthand accounts, diaries, and historical analyses, I discovered a battle that was far removed from the orderly representations I had seen on most gaming tables.


I spent nearly a year refining and reworking The Hell of Stalingrad, determined to capture not just the historical events of the battle, but its relentless energy and intensity. Rather than attempting to simulate the entire Stalingrad campaign, I deliberately narrowed the game's focus to the brutal urban struggle for the city itself, ending the scenario before the launch of Operation Uranus. By that point, the strategic outcome of the campaign had effectively been decided; the drama I wanted to explore was the desperate period when the German Sixth Army was still driving toward the Volga through the shattered city center and victory remained uncertain for both sides. I continued to iterate on the design until each faction possessed a distinct personality that reflected its historical doctrine, strengths, and limitations. The Germans emphasized aggressive momentum and tactical superiority, while the Soviets relied on stubborn defense, attrition, and the ability to absorb and counter relentless assaults. My goal was to create a game in which both sides felt authentic to history while remaining competitively balanced, giving each player a genuine opportunity to achieve victory despite the vastly different challenges they faced.

Q2 Short Answer: I was unsatisfied with the way Stalingrad is typically depicted in wargames.

Longer Answer: Traditional Stalingrad wargames typically presented the conflict from a detached, omniscient perspective. Players looked down from a bird's-eye view, maneuvering neatly stacked counters across hexagonal terrain with perfect knowledge of the battlefield. While these games often excelled at operational simulation, I felt they failed to capture what made Stalingrad unique. The historical accounts described something far more terrifying: a sprawling urban battlefield where soldiers fought block by block, room by room, often without knowing what lay beyond the next pile of rubble. It was a battle defined by confusion, uncertainty, and relentless violence rather than perfect information and orderly maneuver.

I wanted to create a game that conveyed the emotional and psychological experience of Stalingrad as much as its military history. Rather than asking players to simply move units across a map, The Hell of Stalingrad sought to immerse them in the desperate, asymmetric struggle that unfolded amid shattered factories, collapsed apartment blocks, and burning streets. Every decision was intended to evoke the uncertainty of urban combat, where isolated pockets of resistance could halt an offensive, hidden defenders could emerge without warning, and success often came at an appalling cost.

The game's mechanics were designed to recreate the visceral feel of the battle rather than simply model its geography. Chaos became an integral part of the experience. The ebb and flow of combat reflected the brutal, close-quarters nature of the fighting, where momentum could shift in moments and neither side could ever truly feel secure. Instead of treating Stalingrad as a giant tactical puzzle, the design emphasized tension, attrition, and the constant pressure of fighting in one of history's most lethal urban battlefields.

Looking back, The Hell of Stalingrad established many of the design principles that continue to shape my work today. More than recreating historical events, I strive to recreate the decisions, uncertainty, and emotional experience of those who lived them. History is more than maps and movement—it is about human conflict under extraordinary circumstances. My first published game was an attempt to bring players closer to that reality, transforming one of history's greatest battles from a collection of counters on a hex map into an experience that felt dangerous, chaotic, and intensely personal.

-----

Ted Raicer

Q1 The game that became When Eagles Fight (XTR Corp., 1993) – I was calling it Armies of the Tsar – on the east front in WWI. I designed it in 1990 and originally brought to Avalon Hill where I was informed (without their looking at it) that "WWI doesn't sell." I thought to myself "Bad WWI designs don't sell" and eventually it was published in Command Magazine where it won me my first Charles S. Roberts awards.

Q2 I always had an interest in WWI but also in the WWII East Front and I thought "We need a game on the OTHER East Front" – the WWI version. At the time doing research, especially on the OoB was not easy and I spent many hours in the New York Public Library nailing it down but the design itself came together fairly easily, though it was changed somewhat in the Command version.

-----

Ted Torgerson

Q1 I would say my games do not necessarily fit in the category of wargames. They are more Euro-wargame hybrids, adapting some wargame systems to social conflicts. The first wargame that I designed that I felt was a complete finished wargame was Sharks and Jets (Web published, 2006). This was just a variant of Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit #1 applied to the musical West Side Story. I did make a few substantive rule changes that I think improved the Starter Kit system, but not enough to really distinguish Sharks and Jets as its own design.

Q2 You know I always have been a big fan of Shakespeare and of West Side Story. Jerry Robbins was the director until they replaced him because the shoot was taking too long, but his choreography is really excellent. And of course, the Bernstein/Sondheim score is so great. I was playing a lot of ASL solitaire at that time and thought I could get my wife to try ASL if I re-themed the game. It didn’t work.

-----

Terry Simo

Q1 Elusive Victory (GMT Games, 2009).

Q2 My main inspiration for most if not all my game designs is a well written book on the topic - for Elusive Victory it was the book of same name by Dupuy - which then leads to buying more books on the subject matter. I have a military library in the house that probably rivals or exceeds that of some of the local libraries.   History can come alive from those well-written and researched books.

-----

Thomas Van Hare

Q1 Late 1970s: INITIAL EXPERIENCE

I got my start in wargames by designing scenarios back in the late 1970s. At that time, most of my focus was on developing solitaire rules for the popular AH and SPI titles that were most of what we had in the marketplace.

Early 1980s: FIRST PROFESSIONAL WARGAMING

In the early 1980s, I had my first experience in professional military education (PME) wargaming when the university I attended (Michigan State University) was awarded a contract for US Army Ranger officer training using wargaming to teach command and communications through the medium of NATO-Warsaw Pact engagements. Essentially, we created a huge gaming table with rolling European terrain, measuring about 3 meters by 7 meters, and populated the forces with miniatures at a very small scale (a tank was about the size of a small fingernail. The rules were developed and then rounds of US Army Ranger officers would come for a three-week course, during which they would gather to play the wargame and attend classes and briefings, with written papers due between the weekend wargaming sessions, essentially as formal After-Action Reports (AARS) with lessons learned. Our small group at the university performed the OPFOR function in the game and all of the Ranger officers were on the same team across the table, so to speak.

In the first week's wargame, our group took on the role of the Soviets and we performed a massive scale armored assault against dug-in NATO forces that were controlled by the Ranger officers. Their focus was to apply NATO tactics, shoot & scoot, etc., with the goal of slowing and ultimately halting our advance. From the start, however, their defenses went awry as we began with an intensive artillery bombardment in classic Soviet style. Generally disoriented, they performed poorly afterward and we would overwhelm and destroy the Ranger officer team's plans, often just based on the sheer weight of our numbers.

During the week that followed, the Ranger officers attended classes on Soviet tactics and each wrote a paper. Typically, they bemoaned the challenges and drew the conclusion that Europe was nearly indefensible. Remember, this was in the early 1980s, when the Cold War was reaching its darkest point. Even when applying NATO tactical and operational methods, they found they could not stop the Soviet advance. Mostly, they advised about the need to procure newer and more advanced weapons systems that could better address the rapidly evolving and expanding Soviet threat.

In the second week's wargame, they were surprised to find that the wargame was to a replay of the same scenario but with us switching sides. Our team played NATO while the Ranger officers played the Soviets. That game gave them the opportunity to apply the Soviet tactics and operational methods they had learned in the classroom sessions during the week. The Ranger officers entered the wargame with extreme confidence but were surprised when they saw how we employed NATO tactics and operational methods in slightly different, more effective ways. While each decision seemed minor, the culmination of many good choices and carefully planned fallback in order proved impossible for them to defeat. The results were both stunning and predictable. Instead of overwhelming the NATO positions, they found themselves staring at failed attacks and columns of burning T-72 tanks and AFVs. Even their use of artillery hadn't been as effective as it should have been.

Once again, the week that followed was one of classes and another paper. This time they hesitated to declare that the Soviets could not possibly win and that NATO was simply superior. Generally, they couched their answers with more caution and took more time to document what they had learned from our approaches to applying existing NATO tactics and operational methods with the existing equipment at hand.

In the third week's wargame, they expected that we would reverse roles again and were greatly encouraged when they were handed a revise order of battle that featured greatly expanded capabilities. What followed, however, was a meeting engagement rather than a NATO-style defense-in-depth. In that final game of the series, they were astonished to see how the Soviets used massed helicopter assault forces to penetrate behind the lines and block their lines of retreat, reinforcement, and movement. With their reserves tied up, they found themselves facing localized, highly concentrate armored thrusts at key points along the FEBA (what we nowadays call the Zero Line). Usually, they reacted well, which demonstrated just how much they had learned in two classroom weeks with three wargames mixed in. Generally speaking, it was a good training program and I still look back on it and the group effort we put in to design to US Military standards for formal PME use. It was a really good learning process. Sadly, I've lost my copies of the rules, but remember, that's almost 45 years ago anyway, so I expect they would be vastly out of date!

Mid-1990s: MY FIRST "REAL" WARGAME DESIGN

My very first wargame design that one might call entirely my own was actually only partially so. It was derivative of an older game, upon which I layered an experimental game mechanic that I developed based on a reference I found while doing some historical research. The game mechanic was not well-documented, as is the case with many such old games -- this one was over 1,000 years old! Ultimately, I found the core idea so compelling that I recreated the mechanic in modern form, based on the limited descriptions that I uncovered. The resulting game was called Berserk! and it offers a new way to wargame out Viking age and Medieval combat. It is played out on a square grid. Although I published a few copies of it years ago, and even if it proved very popular among those who played it, I only made it available to a few close friends and have never commercialized it. It warrants that, so one day I intend to revise and improve the rules and publish it for the wider community. Despite that, I still count it as the best design I've ever created -- writing this now reminds me that I should really reopen that project (perhaps next year).

2020s: LAUNCHING A WARGAME PUBLISHING COMPANY

Coinciding with the close out of some operational work I was doing in Afghanistan and Pakistan, I returned to wargame design through my old publication, Historic Wings, which, as an aviation history publication (mostly online, though with a YouTube channel too) is coming up on its 30th anniversary next year. I employed that company and its existing brand identity as the vehicle for launching a line of historically-centered, deeply-researched aviation wargames. The first of wargame published was called Tally-Ho!, which is a quick-to-the table, highly replayable, solitaire game about the Battle of Britain. This was my first direct to public, published commercial wargame design. Interestingly, though it is four years old, it still sells well and continuously gets good reviews. Last year, it made two "top-100 wargames lists", for instance.

I've published a total of eight (8) games so far in that series. The full list is as follows: Tally-Ho! (Historic Wings, 2022), MAG-23 Guadalcanal (Historic Wings, 2023), SOE: Lysander (HW, 2023), Overflight! (HW, 2024), Game of Drones (HW, 2024), The Battle of Palmdale (HW, 2025), Black Flight (HW, 2025), and Speed Kings (HW, 2026). In the next few months, a number of games that have been in development for the past two years will finally be published, including Achtung Jabo!, Spitfire Squadron, Invictus, and La Fiere.

Q2 The reason I focused on aviation wargaming topics for my first commercial design released under the Historic Wings brand is that I'm a pilot with extensive operational experience, including in conflict operations, on a global basis. As well, I'm an aviation history author with something like 450 articles that I've written over the years. They say you should write what you know, so I do exactly that.

 Most people say that my background in aviation comes through in the realistic and accurate rules sets that I create. I believe that is important because it allows me to bring an understanding of the real world challenges of aviation operations in war and conflict. One advantage that I can offers is the ability to abstract the action down to the "right level" for playability while not sacrificing the historic "look and feel" that players want so badly nowadays.

Again, thank you for inviting my participating in this year's survey. It has been an honor to be asked. I've provided long answers -- use what you like, discard the rest. I hope that this has helped you understand the twisting and convoluted path that many of us have taken over the years when starting to create and publish wargames.

-----

Tristan Hall

Q1 The first historical game I designed that genuinely felt "done" was 1066, Tears to Many Mothers (Hall or Nothing Productions, 2014). It was the first time I felt I'd taken a historical event and shaped it into a complete game that captured not just the facts, but the feeling I wanted players to experience.


Q2 I'd always been fascinated by the story of King Harold. Here's a man who marched north, defeated the Vikings once and for all at Stamford Bridge, and then immediately had to race south to face William. I've often wondered what kind of king he might have become had history given him the chance. Instead, he was denied that opportunity by William's invasion, and England's future changed forever. That sense of tragedy and "what if?" really captured my imagination.

I wanted to create a game that explored the struggle for the English throne rather than simply recreate the Battle of Hastings. I was also inspired by the words of the medieval chronicler Eilmer of Malmesbury, writing about Halley's Comet:

"You've come, have you? You've come, you source of tears to many mothers. It is long since I saw you; but as I see you now, you are much more terrible, for I see you brandishing the downfall of my country."

That quote perfectly captured the sense of foreboding and human cost surrounding the events of 1066, and it inspired the title, 1066, Tears to Many Mothers.

-----

Ty Bomba

Q1 My first design, done when I was a 16-year-old high school junior in 1969, was an add-on map scenario variant for Avalon Hill Stalingrad (Avalon Hill, 1963), titled Operation Platinum Fox. It contained an 11x8.5” black-and-white photocopied hex map that added the rest of Finland and the Kola Peninsula to the northern edge of the parent game's map. There was also a sheet containing a few added PnP units and new victory conditions. I sold it by mail for $1.50 under the corporate name “Blutbad Enterprises.” I believe I sold about a dozen of them.

Q2 It is impossible for those who did not live and wargame during the mid- and late-1960s to understand the hold Stalingrad had on us, despite its many flaws and omissions in regard to its historicity. I was immersed in it. I had to get Platinum Fox out of the way before I could concentrate on any other project.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4651/stalingrad

-----

Volko Ruhnke

Q1 Wilderness War (GMT Games, 2001) (which did get published). Before that, I had designed rules variants, scenarios, GMed campaigns, and the like. But my first whole and finished board wargame design was that one.

Q2 I had done a lot of research for a GMed paper campaign among my friends in that setting. I was drawn to the setting for a number of reasons - asymmetry, local relevance, personal taste - and did not feel any other boardgame captured all the aspects that I wanted. I had a good model to modify to my setting, a published game by a noted designer (Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage (Avalon Hill, 1996)), that seemed to fit well. A friend encouraged me to take the plunge into full-scale boardgame design.

-----

Walter Vejdovsky

Q1 It was Moscou 1941, published in the French magazine Vae Victis (1995).

Q2 Eastern Front WW2 is my favourite campaign together with Napoleonic. I was particularly interested in the November 1941 turning point around Moscow (and one of my top ten games was Operation Typhoon from SPI (1978)). I wanted to make a lighter version of this game while keeping the same spirit and tension.

-----

Wes Crawford

This is difficult to answer because I was making wargames as early as 5th grade. Most of my early games were based on Avalon Hill or SPI designs and I believe my first one was Sicily in WW2, with the mechanics based on D-Day by AH. It was fun to play, but didn't really break any new ground. Whenever a new S&T magazine showed up or I bought a new Ballentine book, I often at least started working on a game from an S&T article or the book. Those would often be my only sources! My crowning achievement, however, and one I felt was "done," was a game I created over the course of a year working on it almost every day when I was 16 (about 1973-1974). I don't remember if I came up with a catchy name, but it encompassed the entire ETO in WW2. The mapboard consisted of six full-sized poster boards and took up almost all of the family's ping pong table. I hand-drew individual hexes over all land masses. Units were armies. Counters were large to fit the map and the armies took step reduction by sliding a paper clip across the top. I researched hard to make accurate reinforcement and production schedules (by then I was a member of the Military Book Club) and I remember the game had "What If?" event cards. I do remember there were no other ETO games on the market that I knew about and I actually played this 6-hour game several times with friends and we had fun and became quite engaged. Alas, sometime years later, my father tested some scissors and accidentally destroyed the game and threw out the pieces while I was out on tour with a band.

My first two professional games I designed that I felt "were done" were Terror Cell-Washington, DC (currently not signed, but previously was and we went our separate ways) and "Yankee Scare Party"- The Confederate Raid on St. Albans, VT (currently handed in to Compass Games and waiting for an artist). 

Q2 As a teenager and even before I was fascinated with WW2 and read all I could about it. Currently, I'm much more interested in a good story of conflict. This is why my first two published designs are Engine Thieves (Compass Game, 2025) (about The Great Locomotive Chase) and The Pursuit of John Wilkes Booth (Blue Panther, 2025), co-designed with Ryan Heilman. Both are fascinating stories. With Terror Cell-Washington, DC I was highly influenced by watching the BBC series "MI5" several times. The storyline is brilliant, reminiscent of "24" in the US, but more cerebral, in my opinion. When I was browsing in Politics and Prose, an independent bookstore in DC, I opened a coffee table book on the ACW and it randomly flipped to a page on the St. Albans Raid. As I investigated this story, I became more engrossed in the topic and even had a two-day tour of St. Albans with Raid author, Michelle Sherburne. I'm happy with this game because I was able to incorporate the full story comprising the raid, the escape to Canada, the trials, and the covert mission to bring back documents from Jefferson Davis.

-----

William Marsh

Q1 Bunker Hill: A Dear Bought Victory (XTR Corp. 1995)

Prior to this, I had done many variants, most for my personal use, including one for The Far Seas (3W, 1987) which SPI published in Moves #75.

One could argue that Bunker Hill was actually a "variant" of sorts, as it used the Hougoumont (XTR Corp., 1991) game system, and did not require designing a system from scratch.

My End of Empire (XTR Corp. 1997) game was entirely a new game system designed to reflect what I considered the important military factors of the FIW and ARW and is the only time I did that.


Q2 My historical interest in the FIW and American Revolution has been lifelong, inspired by visits to the still standing blockhouse of Fort Pitt as a child.

Bunker Hill came about because Ty Bomba asked for design proposals for Bunker Hill in the feedback for Command Magazine. I submitted one on a whim, knowing I had the historical information to create an accurate simulation with an existing game system, and my proposal was voted positively by the readership.

End of Empire came about because after Bunker Hill was well received, Ty wanted a mini-monster game on the ARW, and negotiated with me to do that. I wanted to make a FIW game based on my historical interest. Building the system to simulate the FIW was straightforward. I had the historical data to do the ARW as a "variant" to that system, which created the game Ty wanted to publish.

Life got busy, and I really didn't game much for years, but my retirement coincided with Compass Games wanting to republish End of Empire (Compass Games, 2014), fixing the issues that happened when Ty published the game with 1/2 inch counters (there was too much data on them -- the original playtest version had larger counters) and I agreed to participate provided I could add the 1744 war as a scenario.

-----

Wray Ferrell

Q1 My first wargame design was my first published game Sword of Rome (GMT Games, 2004).

Q2 Basically, I was playing Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage (Avalon Hill, 1996) every day at lunch and with the naivety of a first-time designer decided to design a multi-player version of Hannibal.

Pretty sure if I had known how time-consuming designing Sword of Rome was going to be, not sure I would have started. But that is why you have a sense of accomplishment when it is done.

-----

Yasushi Nakaguro

Q1 Strictly speaking, the first wargame I ever designed was a two-player game called Terrible Tarawa. I must have been around 16. I had already spent four years of my youth immersed in wargaming, but up until then, I hadn't had the chance to learn about the island battles of the Pacific War. That’s when I read the Japanese translation of Henry I. Shaw’s Tarawa, and knew I wanted to turn it into a game. For the mechanics, I lifted them straight from Beda Fomm (GDW, 1979), a game I was obsessed with at the time. I figured that even if it was a hopeless battle for the Japanese forces, I could simulate the overall engagement by introducing morale as a variable.

That said, I wouldn't call it a 'done' or complete game. It merely scratched the surface of what happened there, and it probably didn't function well as a competitive game. I made the map and counters, and even wrote the rules, but it was far from playable.

After that, I went on to design a few more games, some of which were eventually published in a wargaming magazine in Japan at the time. For example, Struggle of Japanese Missions to Tang China (Kokusai-Tsushin Co., Ltd, 1986), and 73 North (Kokusai-Tsushin Co., Ltd, 1986).

Even so, I couldn't bring myself to call them 'done.' That's because the games I mentioned earlier were essentially solitaire games.

The first game that truly deserved to be called 'done' was Blitzkrieg to Moscow (Kokusai-Tsushin Co., Ltd, 1988), which was my very first commercially published title.

At the time, the wargaming market in Japan was beginning to contract. The games being released were almost exclusively 'monster games'—such as the Japanese editions of War in Europe (SPI, 1976) and War in the Pacific (SPI, 1978)—and publishers kept pushing products that completely ignored beginners. The publisher I worked for, Show Planning, which put out a wargaming magazine, was also facing an uncertain future. Realizing we couldn't go on like this, we planned the 'SS (Small Simulation) Series' with the explicit goal of attracting new players. (Looking back, I still wonder why no one questioned using the initials 'SS'.)

This series came with strict constraints:

- The theme had to be major (battles found in world history textbooks).

- The rulebook had to be 8 pages or fewer.

- The counter count was capped at 140.

- The map had to be B3 size or smaller.

- Playtime had to be under 120 minutes (preferably under 60).

In terms of distribution and pricing, several measures were taken: the price was set at 1,500 yen (about 11.7 USD at the exchange rate back then) so that junior high school students could easily afford it, and the games were made available in mainstream bookstores. It also served as a gateway for aspiring designers, and we solicited game designs not just from our staff but from the general public as well.

Initially, I submitted a game on the North African campaign using a chit-driven system. I chose a chit-driven mechanic because it makes solitaire play easier, which in turn made the game easier to design. However, when it came to actual playtesting against an opponent, it just wasn't fun. Supply lines had too much leverage, and the balance between the mechanics, theme, and scale was completely off.

Around that time, our president, Ginichiro Suzuki, was trying to design a game on Operation Barbarossa using a traditional system, but he was stuck. That’s when he approached me and suggested, 'Why don’t we swap themes?' The president then decided to use the chit-driven system to simulate only Operation Crusader rather than the entire North African campaign. That became Rommel's Afrika Korps (Game Journal, 1988), which was completed and published as the very first title in the SS Series.

To be honest, I didn't have much interest in the Eastern Front of World War II at the time. However, swapping themes forced me to hit the books, and I soon found myself thoroughly fascinated by it. Given the component constraints, I decided to cover everything from Operation Barbarossa and the Red Army's winter counteroffensive to the subsequent German counterattack that struck the overextended Soviet forces. I designed a game system that presented Axis players with a classic dilemma: whether to prioritize time or space.

While I didn't use a chit-driven system, I opted for a 'dice bucket' combat resolution system with a slight twist to keep it beginner-friendly.

So, what made me feel it was truly 'done'? For one, players experienced the exact dilemma I had intended as a designer. This aspect worked beautifully from the very first playtest. Above all, receiving so much positive feedback after its release made me truly realize that a great number of people were genuinely enjoying the game.

Q2 I believe I’ve already answered this question, but ultimately, the most important thing is whether or not it captures my own interest.

-----

Yves Rettel

Q1 I started wargaming when I was eight or nine years old. At the time, the only wargame I owned was SPI’s Panzergruppe Guderian from 1976.

Over the next ten years, I drew my own maps and made counters for several Second World War battles, since that was the only period of military history that interested me back then. I particularly remember the games I designed on Normandy and the Ardennes. As far as I can recall, they all used more or less the same rules as Panzergruppe Guderian.

 Did they ever feel “done”? I suppose they did. I played them endlessly, using my hand-drawn maps and paper counters cut out with scissors, until I discovered—at around the age of eighteen—that other wargames actually existed.

Q2 I was born and raised in Luxembourg, not far from the Battle of the Bulge battlefields, so the history of the Second World War was always very present in my surroundings. We spent all our summer holidays just a few hundred metres from a railway bridge that had played a role in the Rundstedt Offensive, as my parents always called it. Even as a child, I was aware that the landscape around me was connected to events that had affected my family and the entire country.

My parents and their siblings had lived through the Nazi occupation. They had been evacuated in the aftermath of the German invasion of 10 May 1940 and later returned home to a country under occupation. Their memories, stories and opinions naturally became part of our family conversations. The war was not something distant or abstract to us. It was recent family history.

The Second World War, the occupation and the “Prussians,” as Germans were often called in my family, were discussed quite frequently. These conversations were not always calm or detached historical debates. They were shaped by personal memories, resentment, fear and the experience of having lived through those years. That gave the subject an emotional dimension long before I began to study it as history.

My eldest brother was also a keen history enthusiast, and his fascination with the subject rubbed off on me from a very early age. Through him, I became interested not only in the stories of the war, but also in the military events themselves: the armies, the battles, the movement of units and the decisions made by commanders.

Designing games about Normandy, the Ardennes and other Second World War battles therefore felt completely natural to me. These were the subjects I knew best and the ones that captured my imagination. In the case of the Ardennes in particular, I was creating a game about events that had taken place almost on my doorstep. It was a way of exploring the history I had grown up with and of trying to understand, through maps and counters, how those events had unfolded.

-----

Yves Roig

Q1 My first historical game design was Keep'em Rolling: 1944 – Race to the Rhine (Phalanx, 2023), which was later published by Phalanx.

I originally started designing it within my local gaming club. The initial goal was simply to create a game that would allow a fourth player to join our regular sessions, while also offering a solo experience. I chose the Brittany campaign of 1944 as the setting, and gradually developed the design until it felt complete.


Q2 There were several reasons why I chose this subject.

First of all, I come from Provence, in southern France. For me, it was an opportunity to shine a light on Operation Anvil–Dragoon, a campaign that is too often overshadowed by the Normandy landings, despite its enormous strategic importance. The liberation of the southern ports, particularly Marseille and Toulon, provided the Allies with the logistical lifeline that later sustained General Patton's advance across France. I felt this operation deserved far more recognition than it usually receives.

From a game design perspective, I have always been fascinated by logistics as the true engine of military operations. One of the games that had a strong influence on me was 1944: Race to the Rhine (Phalanx, 2014). I admired how it approached warfare through supply and movement rather than simply through combat. It demonstrated that logistics could be both historically meaningful and genuinely fun.

That philosophy has shaped all of my designs ever since. My ambition has always been to create historical games that can be played in around two hours, remain easy to learn, and still capture the essence of the campaign they depict. I want players to experience a strong historical theme through modern board game mechanisms rather than traditional, highly detailed simulations.

This design philosophy has remained consistent throughout my later games, including Gettysburg: A Time for Heroes (Worthington Publishing, 2024),

Brandywine, 1777: A Time for Heroes (Les 3 Zouaves, 2026), and, [as publisher,] Austerlitz, 1805: Coup deTonnerre! (Les 3 Zouaves, 2026). My goal has never been to make games exclusively for experienced wargamers, but to create historical board games that are accessible to a much wider audience without sacrificing historical authenticity.

 -----

 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Feature: Where Do I Begin? Inspiration and intent in wargame design

  Good developers and play testers are a designers greatest asset.       Introduction [This first part is rather self-indulgent and a little...