Tuesday 18 July 2023

State of Play: a few quiet weeks ahead, and the CSR winners announced!

 

 

Not much to report on the practical gaming front at the moment. No Monday games for a couple of weeks and the Wednesday group has returned to RPGs for the foreseeable. I’ll be trying to get couple of solo games in until regular programming resumes.


In other news, the Charles S. Roberts Awards winners have just been announced about twelve hours ago (at time of writing). Congratulations to the winners and to the nominees; 2022 was a really good year for wargames, and just gaining a nomination for a category is a tough gig, given the quality of games generally out there these days. You can find the full listing of the winners and nominees in their respective categories here.

Discounting the magazines and expansions for existing games, there are 58 titles represented among the fifteen game-oriented categories. Going over the lists. I realised that I own nine of these titles (and one of the expansions, but that’s a different story for another time). I’ve written reviews of two of the games (414BC: Siege of Syracuse and 1565: Siege of Malta), and shared some impressions on another three (Caesar!, Fire & Stone: Siege of Vienna 1683, and Plains Indian Wars). I’m also actively seeking out another six games, with fourteen more again on my wish-list.

Since I can’t seem to make much progress on my 6x6 list for a while, I’m going to turn my attention to some of the Charles S. Roberts Awards winners and nominees. I don’t think I’ll get through all the games I own from the list, but there are a couple I’ve been meaning to write up already, and haven’t had the time. Suddenly, I don’t have that excuse to hide behind. I’ll start with those I already own, and add to the list as I secure others. I can’t guarantee a close schedule for these reviews; I will knock them out as quickly as I can replay them and gather my thoughts, then get them down on proverbial paper. I promise I will try to present something thoughtful, readable, and at least mildly diverting. With pictures.

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Q3 Report: Three steps forward, two steps back

      The reactions of everyone at the table when I pull off some ill-advised stunt that should never have worked. October snuck up on me,...