Sunday 21 May 2023

State of Play: the slow drilling of hard boards



We’ve been back from our interstate jaunt for nearly two weeks but I haven’t made any progress on my self-appointed 6x6 challenge. Not quite at the point of despair yet, but there’s a kernel of nervous anticipation that I may not be able to pull it off, especially since my primary opponent, T, left late last week for nearly a month overseas. Gaming will be had in the ensuing weeks, but how much of it will be progress toward the outstanding twenty-nine game target I set for myself? We’ll see.

 I did get a game in with T before he left. Commands and Colors: AncientsExpansion 1: Greece and the Eastern Kingdoms (GMT Games, 2006); Scenario 6: Crocus Plain 352BC. T played the Phocians, and I took leadership of the Macedonians.

Superior numbers of cavalry

By the numbers, Philip of Macedon would have been the favourite, given his superiority in cavalry numbers, despite fielding roughly the same number of sandals-on-the-ground, plus he also had a favourable position, wedging the Phocians up against the shore and limiting their manoeuvrability.

On the night, T put up a valiant fight, taking out two of my leaders before the end, but with the help of a couple of lucky card draws, I was able to use my cavalry to good, replicating Philip’s tactics by probing T’s Centre with my heavy troops (Philip’s innovation of the long-piked phalanxes), rolling-up his left flank to take the game, 6-5. Being forced to retreat to the water’s edge cost T’s units a couple of blocks, making them easier prey. The game was over in about eight rounds (not to gloat – it really was a fast game AND a good game).

The aftermath

As for further play, I’m hoping to get together with B for a couple of games of Great War Commander (Hexasim, 2018) while T is away. He has actual play experience with this one – I’ve only read the rules and pushed a few counters around. It can be difficult to juggle our calendars a lot of the time, but I’m hopeful for a least one game before T returns.


No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Q3 Report: Three steps forward, two steps back

      The reactions of everyone at the table when I pull off some ill-advised stunt that should never have worked. October snuck up on me,...