Tuesday 21 March 2023

State of Play: Undaunted: Normandy (2/6)

 

After a hiatus of nearly a month, I’m finally on track with my 6x6 ambitions, with the second game of Undaunted: Normandy. Once again T played the German defenders, while I took on the US forces. We played Scenario 2: Montmartin-en-Graigne. T commented that this was a more interesting scenario then the first, with the introduction of the machine-gunners. I explained that the early scenarios are designed to introduce new units, rules and concepts, with each scenario building on the knowledge gained from the last.

The photos are reconstructions of the situation at the beginning
and end of the scenario; I left my phone in the car and couldn't
take any snaps of the actual game.

It first T didn’t think it was fair that he couldn’t make damage hits with his machinegun, but within a few rounds he was supressing my rifle squads with grim resolve, while working his own riflemen into the best positions to reign effective fire on my GIs. The initiative changed hands like a hot potato over the course of quite a long exchange. I finally secured a very narrow victory, having lost three of my five cards for each rifleman unit before finally taking the last flag position.

What isn't shown here is the rather tall pile of Rifleman and
Scout cards removed from my deck due to T's disciplined
and punishing fire.
  


I’m surprised by the difference in feel of Undaunted: Normandy compared to Undaunted: North Africa. I’ve only played U:NA a handful of times, and always alone, two-handed. The mechanics are practically identical, the modifiers for terrain cover (though obviously not identical terrain) and the sweep of actions available to the various combatants, but the action is quite dissimilar. Part of that might be the objectives involved; in Normandy, the emphasis is on reaching and securing – and holding on to – crucial positions on the map, whereas so many of the North African scenarios involve blowing things up. This might be a superficial observation, and I’ve played both games combined less than a dozen times, and it may level out some with further experience. I wonder how much of the sense of difference I’m bringing to the table myself through what I’ve read of the soldiers’ experience in the two theatres. The action described in Stephen Ambrose’s Band of Brothers is a world away from the manner of operations described in Giles Milton’s The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare. All this aside, Undaunted: Normandy is proving to be a rewarding use of our weekly gaming time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Q3 Report: Three steps forward, two steps back

      The reactions of everyone at the table when I pull off some ill-advised stunt that should never have worked. October snuck up on me,...